Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Common model problems...anyone ever pondered if failures were 'planned obselescence' that is the component was designed to fail after warranty ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The only way forward for our cars now is creating generic after market engine management systems.
Like Haltech ECM’s etc and custom looms. Would be good to see Haltech do a BCM as well as ECM’s.

This is where I see value in fabricating modern parts into a resto modded older car. Repairable systems on repairable cars.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The only way forward for our cars now is creating generic after market engine management systems.
Like Haltech ECM’s etc and custom looms. Would be good to see Haltech do a BCM as well as ECM’s.

This is where I see value in fabricating modern parts into a resto modded older car. Repairable systems on repairable cars.

It's called Havana syndrome.
I predict it's going to hit soon, and wrecker chassis will sky-rocket past the scrap value as people will be searching for plates to rebuild cars and sell.
Thanks Chris "Cassinova" Bowen.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

I'm sure if there is enough demand, the aftermarket will look after it.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

I’d hazard to guess that the BCM functionality might be something that could be amenable to an Arduino or Raspberry Pi based system, along with an open-source community contributing knowledge and code.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I’d hazard to guess that the BCM functionality might be something that could be amenable to an Arduino or Raspberry Pi based system, along with an open-source community contributing knowledge and code.

Fairly sure it has already been done to a degree.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

You can make all the interior stuff work yes, but the big issue is CAN interface.
There's two CAN systems and the SRS and ABS modules require the CAN system working correctly.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can definitely be done. There are guys that have already figured all this out for 2nd and 3rd gen Commodores.

There is a guy who already makes a unit to simulate the BCM in builds that don't need a BCM but you still want full functionality of other parts of the factory PCM and wiring.

There is someone else who's recreated the factory ECU (808) using a Arduino (I think, it could be a Pi) as the brain on a custom board. If they can do the 808 they can do the 424 (VR/VS auto).

There is heaps of these out there though. I have a few 808's in the garage and VS BCM/PCM etc