Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Common model problems...anyone ever pondered if failures were 'planned obselescence' that is the component was designed to fail after warranty ?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Can definitely be done. There are guys that have already figured all this out for 2nd and 3rd gen Commodores.

There is a guy who already makes a unit to simulate the BCM in builds that don't need a BCM but you still want full functionality of other parts of the factory PCM and wiring.

There is someone else who's recreated the factory ECU (808) using a Arduino (I think, it could be a Pi) as the brain on a custom board. If they can do the 808 they can do the 424 (VR/VS auto).

There is heaps of these out there though. I have a few 808's in the garage and VS BCM/PCM etc

Yes but do you retain SRS and ABS, also what about when the SRS dies?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Also the manufactures should release all the manufacturing data on their systems that are over ten years old, but that would cut into their new car sales.....
Well I think the government should make a law that scraps the necessity to have ABS and SRS working in cars older than 20 years old. Basically have a default safety class for cars over 20 years old.
But that doesn't help car companies sell new EVs now does it even though on synthetic fuel older cars will be better for the environment.........

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes but do you retain SRS and ABS, also what about when the SRS dies?

Well most don't want those functions but I'm sure they could. If you can datalog from the modules you have to know the CAN data information. This has all been deciphered for older models, hell, the likes of HP tuners etc would have all that data for all the models they supply tuning options for.

Replacing SRS modules would be harder but I have spares of those too.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Aftermarket ABS is a upgrade that alot of motorsport guys are adding to old cars, one of the main benifits is that you can add modern traction control to control slip

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Aftermarket ABS is a upgrade that alot of motorsport guys are adding to old cars, one of the main benifits is that you can add modern traction control to control slip

The aftermarket units are off road use only.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Older cars were very prone to rusting out. It wasn’t so much the quality of the materials or the workmanship, but rather the design of the body that allowed for the accumulation of mud and water within cavities in the bodywork.

Regarding servicing, most modern cars only need oil changes for their first 150,000 km or so, along with tyres and brakes. Older cars (pre electronic) were much more unreliable and needed regular tuning, points, plugs, carburettor cleaning/adjusting.

I reckon if you could get a new example of an old car, and a new example of the new car, and run then both side up side, i reckon the older design will breakdown first. And it’s not just cars. Look around at the lack of service and repair places for appliances in general. There is hardly any these days as they aren’t viable or economical.

I reckon you put a newer car next to an older car and ran them, the newer one would be the first to give grief

This is coming from someone that has an older car and newer car and can speak from experience..

Love running up the highway in an older car and see all the newer ones on the side of the road, bonnet up....

Oh and newer cars are more expensive to fix mechanically than older ones.....That's just for parts...Not going to speak about labour

Reactions: Lex