Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new exhaust excessivly boomy

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
My vy berlina had a new 2.5 catback lukey exhaust installed bout a month ago, which sounds fantastic...but at about 2200 rpm-2900 rpm, a horrible resonant boom hits everyone in the cabin.

I dont mind how loud it gets, but its the thudding boom that really really hurts your ears, feels like its squashing your ears in from each side. you can hear the frequency of the sound change as u get closer to 3000 rpm, then the thundering stops. ....is this normal? cause i had a car load of ppl, and it ****ed everyone off, especially on the F3 going up a long hill.

If its normal i guess i gotta suck it and get over it, i wanted the growl, but not the hurting boom. Or is there any way to reduce it? cause it has a nice tone..
comments appreciated. thanks!

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
depends how bad ya boom is. if its the drone that ya get around 2500 rpm thats inevitable. It drones a bit in my redback catback but its gotten better over time. Or maybe Ive just gotten used to it lol

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
i was told it would get deeper as the carbon depoits build up...i hope that means the mid range boom goes...could be y urs is better over time. but nah, its pretty bad its quite painful

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
ive never heard of that before i want an exhaust but if it did that i would get it off straight away

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
i know what u mean sav...my old corrolla had one, it was LOUD, but not boomy intrusivly. Im sure most commodores are like this.
I'm just curious to my options.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
hmm yeah i hope mine doesnt **** me :) otherwise its gone lol

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
maybe u should go back to the place u got it coz my 2.5 catback is perfect and it sounds best around 2700rpm

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
thats the sound ive heard a few commies make after having rear muffler cut off, back pressure issues, hopefully it should settle as the mufflers wear in

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
thanks for the comments everyone.
I dont know much about acoustics of cars, but would it be worth putting a circle of mdf over the spare wheel hole? Im guessing that could act as an amplifier for any boomyness, and maybe a sheet of mdf could quiet that down abit from the cabin.
thoughts?