Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New family car - Subaru ?

King Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CalaisV Series2 6.2 Sportswagon
My last vehicle before the 6.2 VF was a 2016 3.6 litre Outback.

What a great car !

Compared to the Holden, it seemed a more 'solid' build with better overall quality of componentry and finish; I clocked 60,000 klms in 18 months.

The things I do not miss, again compared to the VF - road noise ( huge wing mirrors ), downshifting with paddle shifters to overtake / cvt gearbox, increased service interval / higher maintenance costs.

Maybe the best thing about the Commie is that the wing mirrors are not magnifying glasses !!!! Lol.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Series II Manual
If the CVT is the same as the one in the 2.5L outback, then it's actually quite good to drive.

I'm a traditionalist and I don't like CVTs or DSGs for that matter either. I'm a sales rep so I drive a variety of different cars. The main CVT cars I've driven are the 2nd gen Outlander & 1st Gen ASX, 1st gen Jazz, current gen Pathfinder and current gen Xtrail and each of them are woeful and frustrating - special mention to the outlander that was especially terrible. However I had did have a 2017 Outback as a company car and I did about 40,000kms in it - honestly I was very impressed with that CVT. Drove very much like a traditional slush box - you'd be hard pressed to find the difference between a slushy and the Subaru CVT.

I wouldn't be worried about the driveability of the Suburu CVT - it's very good to drive. I read reports that subaru spent a lot of time and R&D to try and make it as good as a traditional auto - they call it a "Linetronic" CVT. I'll give them credit where it is due - they have done well. To me, all suburu's drive like they were designed by someone who likes cars and has driven extensively in them.

However on the reliability and low running cost front, I wouldn't exactly call subaru cars consistently and inherently reliable. Generally speaking the non-turbo, non-modified versions hold up ok, but they're heavily reliant on proper servicing and the boxer engine needs new seals, gaskets and head gasket at around 200,000km which is not a cheap exercise. My mum had a rather boring 2008 Impreza 2L and she did 170,000km in it without problem before some stupid geriatric wrote it off for her by running a red light. The Linetronic CVT is new so we dont know how it will fair 5,6,7 etc years from now, and CVTs from other manufacturers haven't done well for longevity. The engines in the Levorg are also newer engines and so you take a risk there. I remember when they first launched boxer diesel's and they were a nightmare for owners. Subaru cars are very different from other cars so you generally want someone working on it who knows what they're doing - which can be expensive too. Also some of the things like the Eye-sight system are very expensive to repair/replace - from memory a new windscreen in the 017 outback was a $2000 exercise for the company.

Have you considered the Forester? it does use a more well known and reliable engine & gearbox setup.
The skoda Octavia isn't a bad car either. It has a little older VAG parts, but they're the more well known reliable parts and you can easily get OEM parts as the driveline has been in the market for some time.

Or why not get a VF Sportswagon?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Out of interest I spoke to Subaru today to see what they could offer for trade in for my car (2016 SS black ed. sedan auto).
They said about 28k.
I LOLd
They said they can do a good changeover for Levorg GT S or GT Sti and will get back to me tomorrow...
Can wait to see what ridiculous offer they come up with...

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
Out of interest I spoke to Subaru today to see what they could offer for trade in for my car (2016 SS black ed. sedan auto).
They said about 28k.
I LOLd
They said they can do a good changeover for Levorg GT S or GT Sti and will get back to me tomorrow...
Run away. Now.
It's like when they ask how much you owe on the car, and then they come back and say, we can offer you - surprise - what you owe on the car. Yeah no.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I dunno … given that retail is around the $40k mark, about 3/4 of retail (I presume you've not negotiated yet) is fairly normal for a trade-in.

That's just standard for trade-ins, doesn't everyone know they're chucking ~$8k in the bin on a $40k car if they trade instead of selling privately?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Someone spelled Subaru backwards. Well, levorg backwards is grovel. What they want you to do at trade time.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
They said about 28k.
I LOLd
You would be crazy!
Trading in a late model V8 Commodore on any Subaru is like trading in Pharlap on a Japanese Shetland pony..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Japanese Shetland....?

Isn’t that an oxymoron like military intelligence :p

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You would be crazy!
Trading in a late model V8 Commodore on any Subaru is like trading in Pharlap on a Japanese Shetland pony..
Is this because the Japanese Shetland pony keeps dawdling around for 20 years instead of dying early of a heart-attack in slightly dubious circumstances?