Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Grange, Is it the BMW 5 series killer?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
holden007 said:
Well the HSV GTS has magnetic ride (maybe not as good as the one in the BMW), with a flick of a switch, its adjusts everything according to the road conditions.

The current BMW does NOT have MRC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HSV is only the 4th manufacturer in the world to fit such advanced technology to their car. This is the exact same as that found in only one Ferrari. Do not think that its a budget version, it is the LATEST technology and it is as good as anything else available in the world.

Contrary to what Wombat believes, the M button has no effect on suspension or brakes. The M button does this:

There is also a "power" button which, when switched off, limits the engine to only 400 bhp, intended for daily use. Switching it on unleashes the full 507 for the Autobahn or track.

In terms of suspension, the M5 has Electronic Damper Control...which is NOTHING compared to MRC. "EDC (electronic damper controll), which constantly adjusts the suspension to environmental and vehicular conditions, and can also be set in 3 modes, comfort, normal and sport."

The HSV's suspension setup is better than that of the M5. So :p

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
How bout the M5 wen u press tha M button the seats clamp u into the seat so u dont get throw around doin corners.....
Sounds good but would it hold u in.....

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
The grange doesnt compare to an M5 in performance. M5 in 5.0L V10 trim does 12.58 sec 1/4 miles:cry: If i had the money i wouldnt be buying a grange.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
1991_Vn2nV said:
The current BMW does NOT have MRC!
The HSV's suspension setup is better than that of the M5
I hope you're joking...just because it has some fancy gadgets, does not mean the suspension is better. Let's just take a deep breath and realise that Holden has only just abandoned that stone-age trailing link independant rear suspenision, and it will be a while before they get their new setup tuned perfectly.

Take off the Holden goggles for a moment and realise that BMW has been building sports cars for a very long time. They are generally acknowledged to build some of the best handling cars in the world, and are not likely to be easily beaten. I don't thing even HSV's boss would tell you the Grange is better than a 5 series.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
IBLOWN said:
The grange doesnt compare to an M5 in performance. M5 in 5.0L V10 trim does 12.58 sec 1/4 miles:cry: If i had the money i wouldnt be buying a grange.

The M5 also has 500hp (375ish Kw), and a very expensive gearbox. The HSV's should be very close to getting into 12's down the quarter, so with a few grand on exhaust, intake, and tune, the HSV's will easily match the M5 performance figures, and you've still paid tens of thousands less than the M5.

The M5 is still in a whole new league, but I think HSV would be having a hard time tryin to build a car as expensive as one of those anyway! $100,000 spent on a $100,000 dollar car, and you've got a very, very trick ride. $200,000 spent on a standard car, and you've got a standard car.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Have you heard the BMW v10 rev ? it's like a symphony to the ears.

Last edited:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
klaw81 said:
I hope you're joking...just because it has some fancy gadgets, does not mean the suspension is better. Let's just take a deep breath and realise that Holden has only just abandoned that stone-age trailing link independant rear suspenision, and it will be a while before they get their new setup tuned perfectly.

Take off the Holden goggles for a moment and realise that BMW has been building sports cars for a very long time. They are generally acknowledged to build some of the best handling cars in the world, and are not likely to be easily beaten. I don't thing even HSV's boss would tell you the Grange is better than a 5 series.

Dont put words in my mouth :p I never said the Grange was better than an M5 BMW.

I said the suspension was better. And it is. If you disagree please state, with evidence, why the 5 Series BMW has a better suspension setup than the HSV's?

Last edited:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Last edited:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman Vs. 5 Series

Grange Vs. M5.

Thats how I see it although there is still a massive difference in price.

The odd thing is, the Grange has not even been released yet or in fact revealed to the public. Nobody here has any idea what its like.

killarava2day

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL BT1...VL Group A SS
I'm in the market for a '00 E39 M5, and they're realatively cheap now considering they were sold new close to 200K.

Even for a six year old car they're remarkably awesome. Have features you could only dream of, and you'd be amazed by just how smooth and powerfull the 4.9lt motor is.

My only concern is how expensive it could be should parts begin to fail do to age?