Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Sony head unit wont turn on after installation in VS Commodore?

phil0166882

Custom Commodores
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Hi guys, this is the first time I have tried to install a head unit on my vs commodore and I have just finished connecting all the wires together for my new Sony CDX-GT615UV head unit. But it's not doing anything its like its not getting any power at all or like its dead. I have checked the fuses, wires, tryed pressing buttons and everything seems alright but i don't understand :/ any suggestions? that would be great cheers :)

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
How sure are you that you connected the right wires, Constant 12V and accessories 12V, my guess is you have screwed up in the wiring somewhere, you didnt just match the colour of the wires on the head unit to the colours of the wires in the car did you?

Also check the Fuse on the back of the actual head unit

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Suggestions? Check your wiring.

If the old H/U worked and this one isn't, being a new H/U, we can assume the wiring is the issue.

Does anything happen at all when you turn to ACC? Or when you turn the car on? A beep? Anything?

If it spring into like when you stick the key to ACC, you've mixed up the constast and acc 12V, if nothing happens then you've messed up something else.

Keep in mind that the wiring may not be a case of matching colours but having the colouring key for both the H/U loom and the car loom, then marrying up the correct wires.

phil0166882

Custom Commodores
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
hey, yeah it must a wiring problem, and naah nothing works on it no lights or flashes or sounds its just dead. I am pretty sure the wires are correct iv looked up the colour codes for them and checked it numerous times. Thanks

aussieakito

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
hey, yeah it must a wiring problem, and naah nothing works on it no lights or flashes or sounds its just dead. I am pretty sure the wires are correct iv looked up the colour codes for them and checked it numerous times. Thanks

8176d1131364439-vs-head-unit-wiring-eurovox-wiring_loom-vk-vl_vn-vt.gif

Although in mine the constant was NOT orange/white, i remember i had to get the multimeter out and find it.. Dont remember what colour it was but it was the top left wire when looking at the plug though if that helps.

phil0166882

Custom Commodores
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Hey, i am pretty sure iv got them all correct because i looked up the colour codes for them and everything so yeah but it could be the constant wire actully because my unit didnt have an input to one but the unit just had a positive lead, a negitive lead, an ACC, and an Illumination lead and the rest were for the speakers. Would you know what colour the Constant wire would be and where it would go? Thanks :)

aussieakito

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
One sec let me pull out my h/u and have a look

EDIT: The constant on my car is black and orange, it connects with a YELLOW wire to the Head unit

The accessories is yellow and connects to the head unit with a red wire

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
I'd just check everything with a multimetre before joining / soldering.. It's simple, quick and effective.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Why not just use an adaptor plug/ patch lead. Plug and play and you're away.
Or didn't the car have the plug on the loom?

aussieakito

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Why not just use an adaptor plug/ patch lead. Plug and play and you're away.
Or didn't the car have the plug on the loom?

When i did mine i got one of them plugs, but i had to cut off the plug that goes to the head unit as it didnt fit, perhaps he has the same problem with SONY?