Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New VE 3l SIDI grinding noise 1 sec after starting.

piranha

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 2008
one possibility is the starter motor gear not always retracting fully and may occasionally touch with the flywheel teeth.

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Thanks piranha, that's the type of sound/level of noise and I raised that possibility with the dealer in the early stages but they said it was not that: cause ended up being the Oil pump.

Last edited:

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
My car is the ly7 but having the same issues. Due to my car running a haltech ecu I have narrowed down the issue to several things possibly. Throttle body not opening on startup, too much fuel being sent to injectors on startup. Timing on startup.

The reason why I know it's something to do with this is due to my car being heavily modified and when playing with the haltech and to stop a stalling issue I opened the throttle body 1% at all times when running. As soon as I did this the noise just after startup stopped.

See if Holden can see any faults within the ecu itself it may be faulty or the electronic throttle body actuator or system could be the issue.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
The noise occurs on startup if the rpm go close to 2000rpm.

Wolf-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I recently got an 06 berlina ve and i have a similar noise. Ive taken it to a few places and ive been told that it could the harmonic balancer or one of the pulleys in the front of the engine are loose causing it to knock. it was also said to have a low idle which could also be the problem. so until i get the pulley tightened i was told to give the car a few revs whilst starting it up which seems to stop the noise. (forgive my lack of knowledge on the names of things im only just getting into cars)

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Understand an Oil pump problem.

Last edited:

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Suggest check the oil pump.

Last edited:

Wolf-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I also just left mine with a mechanic hoping to get it back this afternoon. They said that it was something to do with a water pump I think? didnt quite hear. hoping all goes well though!

Wolf-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
ok VCoz i listened to your youtube video and i have a slight noise like that in the beginning but mine sounds sooooo much worse than that! also mine lasts a whole lot longer as well. The mechanic yesterday replaced the water pump and that did nothing to fix the noise so now i have to take it back! if anyone knows how i can upload a video from my iphone onto here or youtube i can do that so you can listen to it as well.

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Mine was addressed under warrantee by Holden.

Last edited: