Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nissan's V8 Supercar revealed

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah it looks very commodore from the side mirrors back.
Using a non production engine is bullshit i reckon. I stopped watching when the cars lost touch with the real holdens and fords on the road and just became look alike shells.
I hope the Nissan and Merc teams win enough races to force a few positive changes to the old rules, but as someone said its probably just going to mean more boring rules and equalisation of the cars rather than true manufacturer v manufacturer competition..... but i will be watching the first race for sure !

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
The girlfriends dad has a mate working on this car for the Kelly brothers. Apparently the rear wheels have to much travel and are bottoming out and hitting on the inside of the wheel arch.
Iv been told its not going to be an easy fix and someone is in alot of s###.

change bumpstop height on rear suspension and maybe spring rate/shock rates, job done. if they cant sort that out, they shouldnt be racing.

IRON8

Let It Rip
Reaction score
Members Ride
'VTank SS , VG/VR Ute
No way, as has been pointed out the current generation 5 litre pushrod v8's (Chev or Ford) are a tried and tested combination that have proven to be near on indestructable. I'd be really surprised if the Nissan V8's hit the ground running anyway, there will be teething problems IMO. People need to realise that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a pushrod engine.

yeah but i thought the new rules might be that the engine will have to be a production engine.

so the nissans and the mercs gonna be 5L aswell?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
No way, as has been pointed out the current generation 5 litre pushrod v8's (Chev or Ford) are a tried and tested combination that have proven to be near on indestructable. I'd be really surprised if the Nissan V8's hit the ground running anyway, there will be teething problems IMO. People need to realise that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a pushrod engine.

But it doesn't have 500 extra parts that lets you put DOHC badges on the car :bang:. I'm with you on that one. Really, OHC and the like is one solution, as is single cam/pushrod design. If you are capped at X HP/Torque and have a super reliable way of achieving it, why change?

The girlfriends dad has a mate working on this car for the Kelly brothers. Apparently the rear wheels have to much travel and are bottoming out and hitting on the inside of the wheel arch.
Iv been told its not going to be an easy fix and someone is in alot of s###.

If it's body work then they'd just pump the rear guards a bit. No bigee really. If it's chassis then it'd be a common problem with every COTF chassis regardless of manufacturer.

Does anyone else see a slight resemblance of a VE commodore when this thing is side on?
Or am I that one eyed holden when it comes to V8 supercars that all I see is Holden?

Well both are 4 door sedans so I guess there is some resemblance. On the flip side, the Datsun has an extra window in the C pillar which the Holden does not so - maybe not??

Reaper

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Bring Back Group A.

Cap development budgets.
Limit tyre sizes.
Reward innovation as much as skill.

BMW vs Ford Sierra Vs Commodore Group A VS Skyline vs Volvo...Those were the days. Like XU1 Vs GTHO vs Camaro

Sharky1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S pack
Man that looks pretty nice. Shame the Skylines cant race :(

Skylines can't race in a V8 supercar championship coz they don't have a V8 in them, hence why Nissan has this Altima, which in my opinion does look ok but I don't think the standard road going version will have the same street appeal that the standard commodores & falcons have, which is where most fans live their dream of having the closest thing they can afford to a V8 supercar.

However I think there probably could/should be a V8 series open to all manufacturers.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Skylines can't race in a V8 supercar championship coz they don't have a V8 in them, hence why Nissan has this Altima,

Don't think the Altima has v8 either :bang:

which in my opinion does look ok but I don't think the standard road going version will have the same street appeal that the standard commodores & falcons have, which is where most fans live their dream of having the closest thing they can afford to a V8 supercar.

However I think there probably could/should be a V8 series open to all manufacturers.

Isn't that what COTF is all about??

Reaper

Sharky1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S pack
Don't think the Altima has v8 either :bang:

Isn't that what COTF is all about??

Reaper

I just read the COTF concept. I hadn't heard much about it to be honest. As I understood the prerequisites were that entrants had to manufacture a road going version of the same car also with a V8, at least as an option, which is why Toyota got turned away a couple of yrs ago when they tried to enter a V8 camry, about the same time they stepped into the nascar world.

I like the way they say V8 supercar commodores will still have the same DNA as the street version. What a load of crap. They haven't been anything like the street version for yrs besides the 4 opening doors & the badges. The chassis are completely different to start with, let alone the engine, trans, brakes & susp. They'rs basically a full blown racer in commodore clothing, which is fine, just nothing like a street commodore. They should say it will still "LOOK" like a commodore.

I think COTF could be a bad thing too. I see their point with the concept but I think they should restrict it to race versions of cars that are released for general sale as V8's, then we'll see more competition in the market too. But then what about that rumours that ford are considering stopping production of the falcon? Maybe this is why the V8 supercar series had to restructure? Personally I doubt ford will do that, although now with COTF they could enter a V8 mondeo lol.