Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

nitrous Question

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 exec, big pajero, 5speed vn v6 play car
I think I put up a similar post a while ago but didnt get far.

I have found a nitrous kit with a carby base plate. I was wondering if it would be possible to use a fogger nozzel insted of the base plate so I can run it on my efi car or could I simpily modify the base plate to fit behind my throttle body and all will be good? I am sure that I have heard of this before but want to make sure befor I buy it.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
You should be able to remove the baseplate and replace it with nozzles, i am pretty sure they are the same fittings and the jets also slip in there too.
Is it a wet kit or dry kit? You'll have to fit some sort of microswitch to the throttle linkage so you can only activate the gas at full throttle, with an arming switch also in the cabin. They really arent that hard to use, just providing you have some common sense of which i'm sure. Just keep in mind the extra fuel you will need when the gas is on, if you are only going for 50-100 shot then your stock injectors should be more than capable of supplying with a remap.

Last edited:

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet, thats the type of response I was after. Ill start at a 50 shot and probable head for 100-125 no higher.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Sweet, thats the type of response I was after. Ill start at a 50 shot and probable head for 100-125 no higher.

Sounds like you have your head on. Most people would lose it and gor for big numbers straight up. Remember, most nitrous kits rate their power referring to gain at the wheels. An extra 50hp from your VN should be enough to get the girl down the strip .5 quicker at least. The reason i asked about the wet or dry state of the kit is that if you have a wet kit, it is easier controlled and you can run more gas without upsizing your injectors, you just have to be able to maintain fuel rail pressure AND provide fuel pressure at the solenoid at the same time.
Have fun and let us know how you go.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if it's originally a carby plate setup the n the fuel jets will be suited for 5-6psi fuel pressure. if you are intending to run a nozzle setup on a efi engine then you will need to get new fuel jets to suit the higher fuel pressure of an efi system(this is assuming that your using a "wet" setup).

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
O.K time for the dumb question, what is the difference between a wet and dry kit? You would think I would know that considering that I have been wanting the stuff for so long :embarrass

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
What sort of price is NOS to buy? As in refilling the bottles?

I could be wrong but for memory it is around the $10-$12 per pound.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
McDonald brothers racing in thomas town, melbourne saiid it is $15 a pound, i think. might have been 16. a wet kit has two jets. one for fuel and one for NOS. a dry kit just has nos. all i have done is put a t-piece in the fuel line. and a steel braided line to the solenoid.. then another steel braided line to the fogger nossle. being a drag car i don't think you need a micro switch. as you will not be pushing the button unless it is full throttle. before i turboed my car i drilled a hole in the plastic intake tube and put my fogger nossle in there, just before the throttle body. i would go a wet kit as someone on this site said they had good luck with a wet kit and 50 hp nos jet. i will have to find it but there is a site where ya type in what psi your nos and the jet size of the nos jet. then your fuel pressure and it tells you what size fuel jet ya need.
if you can get a carby plate cheap buy it, if it has the solenoids. if not, it is no use to you. braided lines are not cheap. so if you can pick up a cheap feed line and some more cheap 4 -an braided lines and a couple of cheap 3 -an line you will be right. all the fogger nossle i have, take 3 -an lines.. fiting aren't cheap. i spent $140 on fitting for my turbo, water injection and NOS. but i did buy a lot. don't buy them from a racing shop. you can get steel ones cheaper from a hydraulic shop. or they can get you aloy ones., but cost a lot..
all you need for a wet kit is. a bottle of nos, a feed line to your nos solenoid, a nos solenoid, a braided line to your fogger. a fogger nossle, and a jet for your fuel and nos. then like a said the braided lines for the fuel..
then just wire it up with a relay and button. and an arming switch like ecotecmaniac said..
then you could go for an incabin gauge for the nos and an incabin gauge for the fuel..... i think that is about it. i will add more if i think of it..
but yeah. very simple. anyone could set it up.
i ran a 50 hp jet in a dry setup and it was crap. don't bother.. will get you going a little faster but noit much..