Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No Balance (or fader) controls for audio (they are greyed out) (Solved)

Noddy & the Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice V 6L
Solution: they are disabled when the 'surround' function is on, which is located on another page. There is no caption to indicate this.

This does not solve the problem of the tone controls having no change on the sound, suggesting the EQ is not set to custom... but where to do that? I shall ask in a new thread. I have to!, as whatever it is set to now is great for emulating the sound of a 5mm phone speaker - but its not suitable if you actually want it to sound good.
Its still staticy too. :(

Hi folks,
As described in the title, the Balance and fader controls in my WM CapriceV II are greyed out.
I bought it 2 months ago and just now noticed this.

After some reading here I noticed that some users with a ute have the same problem, and thus I began to wonder if in this car's history the head unit was swapped to a ute one...
In those posts there is no mention of the LR balance being also unavailable (just fader), and it seems very strange that LR balance would ever need to be disabled.

All speakers seem to be working - but they 'may' all be connected to the 'front' outputs - so that doesn't rule out a ute unit.
Every other function on the head unit works as intended as far as I can tell. Even all the rear roof-mounted DVD functions work.

The head unit splash screen is blue (caprice) not red (commodore.) Not definitive I know, but it narrows it down.

(Also, probably not related) when the audio system is on, there is also low volume pulsing static (sounds like a ground noise) even when the volume is at 0. Silence when off.

Has anyone experienced this issue? It seems very bizarre to lock out balance controls.

I am grateful for any feedback!
Best, John

Edit: Update:

The 'help' pages built into the head unit describe how to use the fader / balance controls as if they were not greyed out at all.

Also in the help pages is a reference to functions such as 'Dynamic Distortion Limiter' 'Equalizer' and 'Loudness' that are supposed to be available in the config menu - but they are certainly not there. (Not greyed out, just not there at all. I have scrolled down too.)

The Bass / Mid / Treble sliders have NO EFFECT on the sound.

In the manual it mentions bass, mid and treble can only be adjusted when the equalizer is set to custom, but I cannot find any settings for equalizer.
I wonder WTF could be going on this is very strange! Software error? Mismatched head unit?

Last edited: