Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No servicing will void my warranty?

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I had mine done way after the 30 days

My previous car had a 3 months/3000km complimentary check/service (as did my wife's).

On mine (previous) the service bod was in a good mood.

"Rattles aren't covered by warranty after this first service".

Really...? I let it slide through to the keeper but as luck would have it didn't need to pursue it with Mr Personable.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Correct but to be honest the lack of service is not covered in their online warranty terms and conditions PDF doc, and certainly not under ‘warranty exclusions’.

Try again.

What isn’t covered
Neglect and Misuse

This includes:
–– Misuse or abuse of the vehicle caused
by racing, rallying, overloading or general
neglect
–– Driving the vehicle after the defect is known
–– Failure to carry out proper scheduled
maintenance services

–– Alteration or modifications of the vehicle
by anyone not authorised by Holden
–– Fitting of parts or accessories not
recommended by Holden
–– Any work carried out on the vehicle by
anyone except an Authorised Holden
Dealer or Authorised Service Outlet

Also note the 3,000km/3 month window also applies to the capped price service rebates - they do expire after the 3,000km/3 month window and cannot be claimed after a grace period after the 3,000km/3 month.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What isn’t covered
Neglect and Misuse
This includes:
–– Misuse or abuse of the vehicle caused
by racing, rallying, overloading or general
neglect
–– Driving the vehicle after the defect is known
–– Failure to carry out proper scheduled
maintenance services
–– Alteration or modifications of the vehicle
by anyone not authorised by Holden
–– Fitting of parts or accessories not
recommended by Holden
–– Any work carried out on the vehicle by
anyone except an Authorised Holden
Dealer or Authorised Service Outlet
Off topic I know, but some have had intermittant fault like the electric power steering (assistance) failure or the electronic park brake failure as discussed on subject specific threads.

In such cases, some have also had a dealer service manager state “drive it around until you get a faultcode” which highlights the irony in Holden’s warranty terms in bold for all to see. Not only that but knowingly driving aroung a vehicle with fault also places ones vehicle insurance at risk.

So, maybe if someone has an intermittant EPS or EPB fall, they can mention the warranty and insurance issues with driving a known faulty car to the service manager... unless the service manager can guarantee their warranty and vehicle insurance is valid, they should simply provide a hire car and test the unsafe vehicle themselves.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Don’t get an X75D, easily dusted by a V8. The P100D looks the goods.

Fuel was $1.74 (98RON) today. Filled a few extra jerries in case it rockets up.
98 goes off really quickly. 2 weeks or so and it's toast - engines still run on it but it gums everything up, increases in density and can give driveability issues. 91 doesn't seem to do this nearly as quickly, in fact, we've been told not to run 98 in dirtbikes that run 13.5:1 compression ratio's because it's not a very stable fuel.

But stability and consistency is probably a little more important in newer generation dirtbikes than an a commodore lol

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
98 goes off really quickly. 2 weeks or so and it's toast - engines still run on it but it gums everything up, increases in density and can give driveability issues. 91 doesn't seem to do this nearly as quickly, in fact, we've been told not to run 98 in dirtbikes that run 13.5:1 compression ratio's because it's not a very stable fuel.

But stability and consistency is probably a little more important in newer generation dirtbikes than an a commodore lol
Wonder why that is... must give InterTek a call...

When i had fuel contamination, the Department of Environment and Energy, the ACCC and Consumer Affairs fobbed me off to each other in a merry go round fassion. But the Dep Of Env & Energy did recommended I use 98 as it is the cleanest most controlled fuel in Australia (wish i had it in writing). They said that with 91 and 95, the refineries can legally put all sorts of crap into it, which he said they do. Who knows how true this all was but i have my doubts as we have Fuel Standerds (Pertol) Determination Act 2001, see here (where UPL is listed as 91 RON minumum, PULP as 95 RON minimum and LRP as 96 RON minimum).

All I know is that dealing with fuel contamination can be rather expensive and time consuming mess while the various bodies play handball while living on a merry go round. As such, dealing with these idiots is dizzingly frustrating....

Obviously, if there is any doubt about fuel stability, it's not good to keep a full tank in a car and take 3 to 6 weeks to use it all up before refilling as i do. So I may need to change my ways.

Does anyone know Holdens official stance on this isue and the use of fuel stabilisers (if they are even any good)?

Last edited:

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car

I only bought 100 liters, that’ll get me through 2-weeks.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Wonder why that is... must give InterTek a call...

When i had fuel contamination, the Department of Environment and Energy, the ACCC and Consumer Affairs fobbed me off to each other in a merry go round fassion. But the Dep Of Env & Energy did recommended I use 98 as it is the cleanest most controlled fuel in Australia (wish i had it in writing). They said that with 91 and 95, the refineries can legally put all sorts of crap into it, which he said they do. Who knows how true this all was but i have my doubts as we have Fuel Standerds (Pertol) Determination Act 2001, see here (where UPL is listed as 91 RON minumum, PULP as 95 RON minimum and LRP as 96 RON minimum).

All I know is that dealing with fuel contamination can be rather expensive and time consuming mess while the various bodies play handball while living on a merry go round. As such, dealing with these idiots is dizzingly frustrating....

Obviously, if there is any doubt about fuel stability, it's not good to keep a full tank in a car and take 3 to 6 weeks to use it all up before refilling as i do. So I may need to change my ways.

Does anyone know Holdens official stance on this isue and the use of fuel stabilisers (if they are even any good)?
I have heard and read that our 91 and 95 RON fuels are amongst the poorest in the world. So bad in fact, that car companies have to either detune their engines, or install lower spec engines in variants destined for our shores. Just so they can cope with our shitty fuels. They are also very bad for the environment, compared to fuels used o/s. I wonder what the minister for the environment and climate change thinks about this?
Re fuel stabilizers, i fill my 2 stroke DFI Mercury Outboard with Mercury branded stabilizer each year.
The tank holds 120L.
Mercury outboards are high tech and have powerful ECU's. At the start of each new season, it always fires up first kick and performs faultlessly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
X2 on the fuel stabilisers. Some are better than others. I'm not so sure about 95 and 98 going off. My old mech who was a very cluey man and he said 91 has about 30 days and needs continual top ups to keep it from going gummy. Where as he reckoned 95 and 98 stays ok for up to six months. I use Caltex 95 and have for years. I find it gets better economy that any other brand and a few other people have mentioned the same, a couple of those were women who swear Caltex 95 got the best economy. I have used Vortex 98 and the economy was no better than the Vortex 95.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Who was your source on this? I know a few mech's and they have always said to avoid 91 if possible, because it goes off.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure if it is true or nonsense but I heard they put an additive in 91 to make it go off?? Apparently it's in their in case of in an accident and a fuel spill occurs. This apparently breaks the fuel down quicker to have less affect on the environment.