Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy AFM Lifter

Greenow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
I recently got my VE Calais V serviced after driving it for 6months with the check engine light on....I knew what the fault was and to cut a long story short left it because the AFM was disabled and the horrible noise coming from inside went away........ The ECM had disabled the AFM after constant oil pressure warnings...The mechanic after some help and education found the filter screen for the Vlom below the oil pressure sender and cleaned it...The AFM is working again and the horrible noise has returned.... I assume it is a failed lifter but cant work out why it only makes the squeaky scratchy noise when the AFM is enabled.....HELP!?...I am thinking full rebuild??
G

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Full rebuild will cost a ship load of $'s
Just pull the heads off and replace the lifters, [All the Lifters]
[and check the cam lobes for wear]
Unless there is other issues that need to be looked at.

On a site note : For that AFM filter to be blocked, I would say there hasn't been the correct scheduled servicing done, or any servicing done prior to you taking delivery of the car.

Last edited:

Greenow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
Thanks Krusing.... No body seemed to know about the filter including the local Holden dealer.

Will get some pricing for lifters and maybe cams

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I replaced mine out of curiosity [Easy to do] , as I had a noisy lifter when cold, thinking it could be starved of oil,
being it [DOD Filter] was never serviced/changed since I purchased and owned the car,
As it was a ex: GM Car, 10 months old and 17,000 k/s on it and it now has 196,500 k/s on it.