Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy Lifters?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
$3500 is a lot of money to spend on lifter tick/noise. You can buy a lot of fresh oil for that money. My 202 had lifter tick and i just went to short oil change intervals to clean out the crank case over time and the noise is gone. Try that and patience?

Last edited:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Nulon lifter free is pretty amazing stuff. I used one bottle initially per 7500km oil change and did note it lost effectiveness after a few thousand km's. I now use a third of a bottle per 2500km which does the trick. If a bottle or two of it doesn't help, you might have a decision to make. Any chance of a sound clip?

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh Sle 4.2, ve SSZ z wagon
It could just be what people think is lifter noise is quite often injectors ticking/pulsing. They can be noisy and is very common and normal from my experiences.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
alot of money just for lifters, cam kit just listed on FB by someone in the VE club $2800 fitted(or what i can make out-seems a bit light on though), includes lifters, cam etc etc, if you went this way you would get new oil pump as well $300 as it has to come off anyway, known fact that the LS engines can be noisier on one oil and not on another (lots of threads on here), used to run penrite 5/40 in the VE SS (L98) was good on it, mileage up a bit now, i run 10/60 penrite (10tenths) nice and quiet does not like castrol, nulon, my maloo hates both and penrite and and i run it on Valvoline full sin 5/30 and is quiet. if you have aftermarket headers and exhaust you can get some noise through them too and its nothing, as jcvhsle has said you could be hearing side noises (pulsing etc) if you can put up a video might make it easier to hear what you are hearing

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
The crank case would need to be spick and span so its not carrying any carbon to help with perfect performance ...