Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

normal air intake vs pod filter vs cold air intake: fuel economy

existentialist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Is there make any difference?

The pod filter sucks in hot air from the engine bay, which would lead to an increase in the air:fuel ratio (less fuel). However this would also lead to a performance compromise, right?

Am i on the right track? Or is the point of a pod filter nothing more than allowing easier airflow?

Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
do a search on pod filter Vs CIA etc. there have been loads of threads on the subject and many arguments both ways

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...s-air-filter.html?highlight=pod+filter+Vs+CIA

but to cut out all the bull, no matter what you have, unless it has a good source of cold air it ain't gonna do jack

if your gonna fit a POD filter, have a look at my ride (link at bottom) to see how it should be done

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
ive used the original airbox gutted it and put a k&n pod in it cut the front wall of the box out and used downpipe for a duct that sit's behind the bumper and come's up through
bottom of the airbox
pod's flow better then a panel filter but without cai or a heat shield the just breath hot air and are useless my setup cost $70 including the pod

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Still yet to see proven results of a pod over a panel on an NA car.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Is there make any difference?

The pod filter sucks in hot air from the engine bay, which would lead to an increase in the air:fuel ratio (less fuel). However this would also lead to a performance compromise, right?

Am i on the right track? Or is the point of a pod filter nothing more than allowing easier airflow?

Cheers

The issue gets confused because more than one factor is at work:

Low restriction = better economy and more WOT power.

Cold air = worse economy (yep but not because there is "more" fuel) and more WOT power.

Hot air = better economy (at part load - provided detonation is avoided) and less WOT power.

In terms of economy, the PCM will always chase stoichiometry at part load so any effects will be due to factors other than fuel mixture changes. The high load mixtures are extrapolated from the part load (closed loop) mixture requirements..

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
The issue gets confused because more than one factor is at work:

Low restriction = better economy and more WOT power.

Cold air = worse economy (yep but not because there is "more" fuel) and more WOT power.

Hot air = better economy (at part load - provided detonation is avoided) and less WOT power.

In terms of economy, the PCM will always chase stoichiometry at part load so any effects will be due to factors other than fuel mixture changes. The high load mixtures are extrapolated from the part load (closed loop) mixture requirements..

Cheap 6, can you explain the basis for which you have made your cold air and hot air predictions?

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
Boyakasha, wikidy wikidy whaa, east side is the best!

...your mama, so fat, that when she volunteered to clean the cages at the zoo, people would walk by and say look at that hippopotamus.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Heres a how to on how to put a pod into the standard air box, but to be honest it is no different than a panel filter in he standard air box:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/holden-commodore-how-s/53887-pod-filter-cai-vr-vs.html

Is that the one I wrote? (didnt click the link)

You are right, either way the engine itself will only suck in so much air ( I think Abba fan said that once in another thread too) although the pod has potential to allow for more airflow without some sort of force like a charger or a turbo, you will only reach the air intake that the engine can really,a nd a panel filter meets and exceeds this, as does a pod.

Get some other mods on the car before going into advanced air intakes and such is my advice.