Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

nosy lifters in my VR

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Just to add, have you ruled out the injectors, as they do make a "ticking" sound more so with age. Just thought I`d let you know.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
I have a problem with oil,when the car is cold,it runs perfect but once warmed up i get a knocking noise(not the tappet sound tho) and low oil light on at low rev's,my guess is sh!t built up in the motor.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I have a problem with oil,when the car is cold,it runs perfect but once warmed up i get a knocking noise(not the tappet sound tho) and low oil light on at low rev's,my guess is sh!t built up in the motor.

Thats a classic sign of worn main and/or bigend bearings usually found in a high mileage engine. When the oil is cold and thick it basically fills and cushions the play in the bearings but once the engine and oil warms up and thins it no longer can cushion the bearings and then they rattle and the oil light comes on due low pressure. Cheapest fix is to simply go for a thicker oil otherwise it will costt $$$$ for a full overhaul.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers mate,I will note it for the next oil change

MikeysVR24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore 25th Anniversty Executive
yeah the guy told me next door that it could be my injectors buti'm not to sure think the best thing to do is to put it through a machinc and see what they say lol
also i got a quot on NEW lifters $375 supplied and fitted hmmm... but i think that my oil pump may be blocked becoz only a small amount of oil actually comes up into the heads..
dad checked it out today

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If your oil pump was blocked you would have the oil warning light on and I'd reckon the bigends would be rattling like a Bondi tram. A blocked oil filter can cause reduced oil flow but you'd have to have a really dirty engine to block a filter.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
what about oil light on-knock in motor that aint the lifters

MikeysVR24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore 25th Anniversty Executive
hey its all good now i gave the engine a oil flush and changed the oil to new fresh oil i can see the oil runnin through the engine so that all good te new oil has quien down the noise i think the next step is to jst get them fixed.

marksman87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman V6
Big End Issues

Thats a classic sign of worn main and/or bigend bearings usually found in a high mileage engine. When the oil is cold and thick it basically fills and cushions the play in the bearings but once the engine and oil warms up and thins it no longer can cushion the bearings and then they rattle and the oil light comes on due low pressure. Cheapest fix is to simply go for a thicker oil otherwise it will costt $$$$ for a full overhaul.

Just got a VR Commodore, there is a loud knock sound initially started quiet as the owner told me. I got it home hoping for a tappet repair and my old man came out and said he thinks straight up a Big End issue. How can I repair this easiest and cheapest. He reconed either a crank or bearings, only seems to be on one stroke of the engine does increase with engine revs. As I only just got the car don't know what oil they used etc. going to do a full lubricant change, so suggestions to what oil etc. to use willing for advice. 270,000k on the clock. drives smooth and maybe a little under power just due to the knock, hoping I can fix this. I've rebuild the top end of a VN Buick V6 but that's the extent I have done never dug deeper as my VN never had any other issues.