Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not enough power :(

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
well...my current setup consists of;
2x Kicker solo baric L7 12" subs
Option audio 2000wrms mono amp
and kicker speakers in the car soon to be powered by
a Option Audio 160wrms x 4 Chan amp
And I will be adding another Option Audio mono
block so the subs have one each.

Now my optima yellowtop powers everything fine...until i sit at idle rpm...only lasts a minute or so before the headlights start dimming. I also cannot have the stereo playing with the car off or else it drains the battery within 20 or so minutes and want start back up.
I went to a bloke in town who specializes in batteries and I am guessing has general knowledge of auto electronics. Now after testing my battery and confirming it wasn't faulty he said the alternator is obviously stressed from the excessive drainage plus the age of it probably doesn't help.
Anyway he suggested a bigger optima and a dual battery system with a bigger alternator and get a dc to dc charger to help the alternator out.
Does this sound plausible? He seemed to know his stuff and I was just wondering on some of your opinions, like is all that necessary?? Will i even need a second battery or bigger alternator? Dont really know much about auto electronics so willing to learn.
Kinda stuck at what to do..should I follow through with it...
I haven't done the big 3 yet but I will be when i get around to it.
Cheers guys.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Out of curiosity, why are you adding another mono amp, the 2000wrms amp is more than enough.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Out of curiosity, why are you adding another mono amp, the 2000wrms amp is more than enough.

That's what I was thinking as well.
Dual batteries isn't going to help you whilst you're at idle, all it does is delay the time it takes to go flat - what you need is either a new alternator or a bigger one.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Or upgrade the cables properly first, in my opinion there is no real point exploring any other options when you have an ~8awg cable going from your battery to your alternator charge point, same for your battery ground.

kcpwns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Ive seen my subs with 1500wrms to them each and they go off...
either way its still draining now lol..
Ive only got 2 gauge from battery to amp..upping that to 0
once it comes in...its on order...and Im doing the big 3 most likely with 0 gauge aswell...
But I am going to need a new alternator I guess...what do people with commodores do
to get a bigger alternator?? Because I keep hearing about putting v8 ones in
but I havent read or seen it done...

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
From what I can gather fitting a V8 alternator requires custom brackets to be made. Honestly you might as well go a goo 200amp alternator if your going to that much trouble.

Also I wouldn't feed 1500wrms into each sub, it might handle it for a bit, but then they will crash.

kcpwns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
hmm...the second mono block isn't really locked in as yet..just an idea...
cant really spend money on it if it's not running properly...
My mate is a fabricator...so if I get hold of a 200amp alternator?? somehow lol..
and I get brackets made up and fit it etc...would this class this as an engine modification?
I am a p plater so cops kinda like hanging out with me on the side of the road.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Alternator can be bought from any decent auto sparky, the 200amp one are generic ones.

I can't see it being an engine mod, its not part of the engine, its a accessory, and it will actually decrease the power of your car, only by 1 or 2 watts.

Keep in mind though, it will only make 200amps at full turning speed, have to get that of the manufactorer, it won't make 200amps at idle, but then you current one won't make 100amps at idle.