Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Obd2 bluetooth

ispeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Senator Signature
Hi. Does anyone know if the bluetooth obd2 adaptors can be left permanently plugged in without draining the battery flat? Curious if anyone has experience with permanently plugged in, some have a power button on them, mine doesn't. I don't want to find out the hard way.

Cheers
Murray

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I wouldn't leave it permanently plugged in, most of them have a default code of 0000 or 1234 or whatever that makes them vulnerable to being "hacked" or should I say connected to by an unauthorised user.

*edit*

however the port should have no power with the ignition off.

Last edited:

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I leave my wi-fi dongle plugged in 24/7 don't have any issues with battery, I assumed when the car was off the port would not be getting any power.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Guys, what is the reason you need the dongle connected fulltime? is it so hard to connect it when you need it?
Me no understand

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I leave my wi-fi dongle plugged in 24/7 don't have any issues with battery, I assumed when the car was off the port would not be getting any power.

I don't know details on BCM CANBUS stuff but can say it does not sleep with a door ajar, lights timeout, and I think generally when car is left unlocked. Because I get bluetooth polling throughout the night and can download firmware.

Guys, what is the reason you need the dongle connected fulltime? is it so hard to connect it when you need it?
Me no understand

Mainly because it makes it easier to flick it on anytime from any device, but functionally to get reports since last fillup, drive time stats since last stop, how many stops & how long stopped idle/without car running, cost of fuel used between stop A-B, total cost of fuel per day, etc.

ispeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Senator Signature
I can still connect to my obd2 adaptor with the car locked and alarmed, so power is still supplied. But can't get any data from it until the ignition is turned on. If I'm walking to work in the morning I'll know I made a mistake.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hi. Does anyone know if the bluetooth obd2 adaptors can be left permanently plugged in without draining the battery flat? Curious if anyone has experience with permanently plugged in, some have a power button on them, mine doesn't. I don't want to find out the hard way.

Cheers
Murray

I leave mine plugged in for weeks at a time. Yes there is a chance of being hacked but I'm sure I'd notice another car tailgating me for km after km to get close enough for a reliable signal.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
In terms of being "Hacked", your Dongle needs to support 29Bit SW Can (For the VE models).
This rules out a lot of the cheap chinese ELM327 stuff out there.

If you have an OBDLink style bluetooth connector (or a modified GTOSoft device that connects directly to the SW Can Bus), then yes, you can be hacked if it is plugged in (Even with the ignition off, keys removed, car locked / parked and the owner of the vehicle long gone)
(You can easily send a 29Bit Canbus command to wake up the devices, then send a door unlock or boot release command).
With android devices supporting bluetooth serial, you could even do this using a half decent phone.

Not many people know how to do this sort of stuff (Only a dozen or so that I know of), but it is definitely possible.
Though I have to admit to leaving mine plugged in occasionally whilst the car is garaged.

If anyone is intersted, do a quick google search for GMLAN Bible. (Which is VE SW 29Bit Can bus specific).

As for power consumption, I have founf that the OBDLink model I have is very good in terms of standby power consumption.
(It chews about the same as the GPS tracking devie I have installed).