Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Occasional engine light

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Should be 11 on highway with 95 and memcal. Have to test with me driving at 90 to 100

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If i get the CEL checked out would i be best to see an auto electrician or a mechanic? It could be expensive to diagnose so only want to pay one technican not end up paying two because one can not figure out what is wrong.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Sounds about right...mine was similar (10ltrs/100km) figures for mixed suburbs & motorway driving.

Decent figures for an old v6 jalopy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I would think figure would be closer to 15-16 if the sensor had no signal at all. If I was to drive flat roads at 90kph with the tray cover on, using 95 with my current memcal I reckon I could get 10s. One day I will sit on 90 on my way home and go easy on the pedal, keeping the revs down to around 2 -2.5k and get a reading to see if I can get 10lph and I will fit the tub cover on. Because I hear that without it, it creates extra drag. Driving lights that sit just above the front of the bonnet also create some drag I suspect. So maybe with my driving style 13lph is not too bad?? I'm gonna be interested to see if the Pacies improve economy. By all accounts they should help somewhat as they will make the engine more efficient I think.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What are peoples thoughts about getting a technician to check it out? Could be $200 wasted or it could be $200 well spent?? If I knew economy figures that are normal for a VR that has an O2 sensor with a missing signal then I could determine easier whether I would be wasting my money or not having it checked out.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah they do better better with tonneau cover/hardlid on.

Don't forget you've added weight & extra drag compared to lighter stock car.

With a dud o2 sensor + other faults like when I got it the vp was a shocker barely able to do 110 in 5th or get 200kms per tank.

Reckon I could get it below 10 if was mainly highway use but no point once hit peak hour...tbh just drive sensibly & enjoy.

Multi-meter + testlight & forum/car manual will save you 90% of the time,just keep at it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Try driving normal before you go searching for faults that might not be there.
What revs are you sitting on going home normally?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah GTR, I would get around 300-350km per tank. It's a pretty small tank from dead empty I have to trickle fill and then pour the rest in with a jerry to get anymore than 50l in it. It takes about 42-43L from dead empty until it needs a trickle fill.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try driving normal before you go searching for faults that might not be there.
What revs are you sitting on going home normally?

Yeah that's a good idea. I just get concerned when I get a CEL every few days of driving. On the flatter ground at 110 I'm on 2.4k. I tend to be a bit heavy footed on the way home and back to town. I can definitely do better. It is sounding like 13 is pretty ok considering I'm a tad heavy on the right foot.