Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Odometer adjustment for replacement instrument cluster?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I Know! I Know! I Know! - Perfectionism is a curse, borderline OCD:unsure:

Owning a VN-VS with perfectionism is a bad idea....trust me haha

The rattles, squeaks and build quality will send you to an early grave if you let it get to you haha.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Could you just give it an extra service?

Book would look OK then.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I Know! I Know! I Know! - Perfectionism is a curse, borderline OCD:unsure:

Hey, maybe i'll get lucky and there's someone out there with a gizmo that'll do it as a trade for the old cluster:idea3:
VDO tools are pretty rare, I still havent come across one after all this time.

Also, VR-VS commodores dont have any comms to the instrument cluster so the odometer cannot be changed using any scantool including a tech2 or tech1. The VDO tool actually hooks onto the cluster to do its changes.

If your serious on working it out yourself to save yourself some cash, Id suggest snooping on over the pcmhacking.net :beer chug:

Id probably not recommend anyone to use them, from the sellers history hes only done a couple changes before, if they use the wrong programmer, or shitty old equipment, it can leave the cluster bricked!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Double post.

Last edited:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
VDO tools are pretty rare, I still havent come across one after all this time.

Also, VR-VS commodores dont have any comms to the instrument cluster so the odometer cannot be changed using any scantool including a tech2 or tech1. The VDO tool actually hooks onto the cluster to do its changes.

If your serious on working it out yourself to save yourself some cash, Id suggest snooping on over the pcmhacking.net :beer chug:

Id probably not recommend anyone to use them, from the sellers history hes only done a couple changes before, if they use the wrong programmer, or shitty old equipment, it can leave the cluster bricked!

From experience you'd have to be pretty bad to brick one of these....... oh wait, now that I think of some of the things I've had to repair.... I guess anything is possible. A programmer to suit can be made from a few scrap bits from an old crt monitor and be successful so eqipment regardless of how old isn't the problem.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
From experience you'd have to be pretty bad to brick one of these....... oh wait, now that I think of some of the things I've had to repair.... I guess anything is possible. A programmer to suit can be made from a few scrap bits from an old crt monitor and be successful so eqipment regardless of how old isn't the problem.
I do agree.. if your one to know what your up to and are prepared!
I see it in the sense of, if you read invalid data due to poor connection,equipment or even selecting the wrong device to read, You will then write back invalid data. So even if you want to try and write back the original information you cant due to reading wrong data in the first place. Unless you have a hefty list of eeprom bins of clusters you are gonna be in strife trying to configure the clusters settings from nothing! haha.

Can personally say Iv picked up a tonne of clusters(vt-vz) in WA and all throughout ebay and gumtree in Aussie with blanked or rubbish data on the eeproms from inexperience or lack of knowledge of what they were doing.

Impressed if you can make your own programmer though, not many can say that! Be good if I could put the arduino to work with some custom software to interpret :beer chug:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The earlier clusters chip only stores configuration data and is a very small device, the above mentioned forum to look at has enough info to write a new image from scratch in a hex editor if needed in a couple of lines.

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
I have a wrecked statesman with about 240k on odometer if you want it. Dont know what your mileage is but if its close.

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
Don't know how long you put up with the broken one before but why not just deal with it for another 10,000 until you reach the odo of the new cluster and then change it.