Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

odometer gap period

br77

Reaction score
Members Ride
na
hello everyone,

I want to buy a family car and noticed the car report missing odometer reading for 3 years. attache is a photo, wondering what could happen there. Thanks guys

Screenshot_20201029-204404.jpg

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hmmm. Either owner servicing, non-dealer servicing or no servicing at all.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
If the owner did look after their car properly, I’d imagine its been serviced at a mechanic that does not share the data with a service like this.

To me, Car facts always seemed like a bit of an overcharge for details that can be gotten for much cheaper. If a car was worth buying it would have a service book,(instantly counts out any recent BMW) and the rest of the juicy stuff in a Carfacts report can be found with a much cheaper PPSR check

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
General visual inspection will tell if the Car has been looked after and serviced,
I Service and Repair all our cars from Brakes, Globes & Puntures, etc, etc.
I keep a Log of all our cars [6 Cars at the Moment]
I create a XL Spread Sheet for each of our cars, and Log eveything I purchase for them, date, and were it was purchased, and how much.
and the Date when item was fitted/installed.

So ALL of our cars does not have a Log book history, but I do offer the a serious buyer to view the Personel log I have kept,
The Tyre Kickers are just that, Walk in , Low Ball you straight up,
I dont even let them haggle, I just say the Price is the Price, considering the amount of money that has been spent on it.
take ot leave it, and thats the first sign, or body language to think, FO,
I just say best to go and look at the Bargain Basement Bashers [Cars] on ebay, that are cheap, but will cost you a lot more after you buy it.

The fact is, you dont go looking for a Car, if you dont have the money to buy one at the price range your looking at.
Some People think the sellers are as dumb as dog s____.

Last edited:

br77

Reaction score
Members Ride
na
thanks guys. the seller bought the car one and half year ago from a car yard. seems the car got driven for 40k during the gap period before he bought it. I will check the log book when I met him. But just curious to know what could happen during that period coz each pink slip should record the odometer

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't think that list has the pink-slip readings on it, you'd see a reading at the same time every year & it's totally inconsistent there.
I was going to suggest maybe it was interstate, Victoria doesn't have a pink-slip (until you sell the car) for example, but that's when I realised there're probably no pink-slip readings at all.
Also a bit odd that the first service isn't listed.

You're checking the log book, best approach IMHO. But I reckon that the report is incomplete.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
General visual inspection will tell if the Car has been looked after and serviced,
I Service and Repair all our cars from Brakes, Globes & Puntures, etc, etc.
I keep a Log of all out cars [6 Cars at the Moment]
I create a XL Spread Sheet for each of our cars, and Log eveything I purchase for them, date, and were it was purchased, and how much.
and the Date when item was fitted/installed.

So ALL of our cars does not have a Log book history, but I do offer the a serious buyer to view the Personel log I have kept,
The Tyre Kickers are just that, Walk in , Low Ball you straight up,
I dont even let them haggle, I just say the Price is the Price, considering the amount of money that has been spent on it.
take ot leave it, and thats the first sign, or body language to think, FO,
I just say best to go and look at the Bargain Basment Bashers [Cars] on ebay, that are cheap, but will cost you a lot more after you buy it.

The fact is, you dont go looking for a Car, if you dont have the money to buy one at the price range your looking at.
Some People think the sellers are as dumb as dog s____.
You sound like me. Did you ever suffer from OCD

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
You sound like me. Did you ever suffer from OCD

I think I am starting to,
As I always double check everything, I think it was part of my Motor Mechanic Training years ago and still do it.

On a side note,
I hate the Air Temp on a Odd Number
I hate the Speedo set on a Odd Speed.
I usually buy 2 of everthing [Usualy consumable items]
[depending what the item is, ie: Oil Filters, Air Filters, I buy Globes in packof 10 [being we have 6 cars] as I like to have spares for our cars on the sheft]
Maybe because I was born on a even date, and in a even year, who knows.

Last edited:

I love kittens

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS
Log books dont mean anything. Drive the car, listen to the engine, look at the condition of the car inside and outside. That will tell you enough about the car your buying.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I think I am starting to,
As I always double check everything, I think it was part of my Motor Mechanic Training years ago and still do it.

On a side note,
I hate the Air Temp on a Odd Number
I hate the Speedo set on a Odd Speed.
I usually buy 2 of everthing [Usualy consumable items]
[depending what the item is, ie: Oil Filters, Air Filters, I buy Globes in packof 10 [being we have 6 cars] as I like to have spares for our cars on the sheft]
Maybe because I was born in a even year, who knows.
YES YES YES YES that me all over I use PRIME NUMBERS ONLY. For tyre Pressure, The time when I do things, When I do all my sat TV Stuff, even when I go to the toilet I go when the last number is 2,3,5,7., same with air con temps. Yes My wife think' a Nutter, Mate that are still alive they think I'm a Nutter but years ago I work with a group of GERMAN and they were from the Electrical company Seimens and they watch me work so I spread the rumour that Maltese are better than Germans and I did a superior work than Germans so they flipped there heads off. Now I new that they were watch me work and they Spotted me leaving the Stainless Steel bolt head pointing at 12. 0clock whilst I torque the other end, I really pissed them off but eventually I become a good friend with one of them (Pass away now) Yes Hans, Every time I came to his house the house was PERFECTLY CLEANED, everthing was very tidy when he open his Front door when I knocked and he was Dreased with a German Uniform LOL.LOL. Yes he was a Nutter but a Good nutter.