Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OEM steering wheel remote wired interface capability

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
If a unit boasts "OEM steering wheel remote wired interface capability", does that mean it will work directly off the vx commodore steering wheel controls? , without any costly adaptors etc?
I was enquiring about purchasing a current clarion unit that has this feature. One installer claims they'll be able to get it all working for the standared installation cost, another claims they'll need to put in the costly CAT thingo.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
yes that is true, Clarion has just started doing it, I know eclipse do it also. I have used it a few times on vehicles with great success. There is a horrible programming set-up procedure but once in, the system works well. Basically there is two wires required from the steering wheel. You earth one out (usually) and the other one gets connected to the new unit and then you basically start pressing buttons to go through the learning process.

If a company says they can do it for standard install costs, don't be surprised if the price does jump once it's completed, if a company says you still need a cat unit...walk away.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Thanks for that.
Ok, so if I "sign up" for the unit and agreed installation cost, then its up to them to get it working. Just didnt want to be in the position where they get it installed then decide that it cant really be remote wired and then have to negotiate something else, price etc. There's not much to choose between the units (at the lower end of the market) and bypassing the cost of the steering remote costs is a big factor for purchase.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I had this set up with my old VR Calais. Its not as simple as unplugging the steering controls and plugging it into a new head unit, you need to use a device called a CAT that converts the signal to replicate the same controls as an aftermarket remote. This is the same whether you use a plug straight to the headunit or an infrared control. I'd talk to a person at a decent car audio center first and they should have plenty of experience getting these steering wheel controls to work. Mine worked like a dream.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
it will need an adaptor. It wont be plug and play.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Guys...headunits have come a LONG way. If you purchase the right unit then you won't need a CAT unit....unless its a Mercedes Benz or a Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep product which sends information to the radio via CANbus system. Most GM Products are still using a 12V reference voltage with built in resistors inside each particular button to change the voltage and send that voltage back to the radio....this is how the new Clarion and Eclipse units view the signal. Once it "learns"that voltage you then tell the unit what it is supposed to do when it recieves the signal. Bypassing the need to use a interface modules.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I had a brand new Alpine unit with the steering wheel input and it still required the CAT regardless.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
it had a spot for the remote to plug in right? This is NOT a plug...it's an extra wire or two (dependant upon brand) that needs to be soldered onto the factory wire.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I didn't do the install so I couldn't tell you. I think it has a 3.5mm jack on the back for steering wheel controls. I do remember reading that to get it to work, you had to remove the infrared emitter from the CAT and solder on a 3.5mm plug instead.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
so these new units 12voltking work on every unit except can bus?