Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oh S%@t moment...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
So today I was on my way home in a VY just purchased and picked up this afternoon, going around a round about the driver in front of me hits his breaks to give way to a car (when his in the round about). Following close by is me and i hit him, not massive damage but enough to scrape a fair bit a of paint off the front bar against his tow bar.

We both pulled over, he says its my fault because i hit him from behind which is correct I believe but, is that still the case when he stops in the middle of a round about to give way to cars when they should be giving way to him?

Haven't got insurance on the VY yet, was on the todo list tonight once I got home (i know, silly move) but in 5 years of driving I never thought this would happen on 1 day I would be driving this car home!

We did exchange details, I have his insurance company details, name, phone & address visa versa as well for him.

Anyone enlighten me?

Unfortunately for you, the following driver is obligated to keep a safe difference behind the car in order to stop without hitting anything should the car in front stop.

Reaper

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
If the other driver discovers damage to his car, he will come after you to fix it. Without insurance you will have to pay out of your own pocket.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Dont the driving insturctors usually tell you to look in the mirror to see if it's "Safe" to brake?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Dont the driving insturctors usually tell you to look in the mirror to see if it's "Safe" to brake?

No, why would they? You shouldn't need to look to see if some other driver is far enough away for you to brake. If you need to slam on the anchors then you bloody do it, not look around and think about it.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
I remember being told to look in the rear view then brake when safe to do so...

YootDriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY10
If you rear end someone in NSW then it's a "driving to close to avoid accident" or the old neg driving charge, which is 3 points and $330 automatically so you were lucky they weren't called.

Even if you have an accident without another car you are deemed to be at fault, it's a fine in the mail.

Cheers John

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
Unfortunately, this is a reason why you should keep a safe distance between yourself and the car in front. Call it a "stupid random **** the other driver might do" buffer.

1. All driver on the roads are idiots, give them enough room so they can do stupid things without you getting caught up in it..

i agree with what you said there but also the problem i always find and it really shits me is when you do leave a safe distance between you and the car infront and some idiot thinks that spot is for them and they swing straight into that spot

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
these threads are great cos everyone gives their opinions, half of which are nonsense.
The other car did not cause the accident. You caused the accident by hitting him in the ass.
1.5-2 seconds is an unsafe gap. If any car stops suddenly with 1.5 seconds gap in front you're going to hit him in the ass every time. Cops can fine you just for that if they want.
Luckily for you, as the cops told me,, this would be classed as a minor traffic incident because no one was injured, no cars required towing, and no other property was damaged, no one was DUI, and both drivers exchanged details. Hence it does not require reporting to the police and you should not get a fine. Check the police website on this if you like.
Unfortunately when i slammed up the ass of another car one was written off and we both needed towing, so it was a 'Major traffic collision' which is a whole different story.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Actually I find 2 seconds is a pretty decent gap. on a 100km/h highway 2 seconds is 54 metres. Thats pretty decent. Especially since people will jump in front of you even if you have less than 10 metres gap.