Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil change before 15,000kms?

whitey5759

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I was surprised to read that the first oil change for my VF SSV doesn't happen until 15,000kms! Am I just a dinosaur living in the past thinking that, now I've hit 3000kms I should drop and change the oil and filter myself?

What have other VF owners done/thoughts?

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Yes definitely do an oil change.

I've heard it is not an easy thing to do yourself as theres a couples things under the car that need to be removed, so I stupidly I asked them to add it on to the 3000k service and they charged me over $150 to do it.

...but quietly, I heard another member worried about metal shavings being in their oil and Holden had to drain the oil to check it.....

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I've done more than 165,000 km changing every 15,000 with exactly the same engine, zero complaints, goes great. Sometimes I've spun off the filter at 7500 myself, and while it was under warranty I specified the synthetic option. Out of warranty used detergent based exotic purple blends then more recently totally convinced about Australian high zinc. There is a new Penrite that 426Cuda uses which meets Holden spec, I'd be carting that along to Holden each service in retrospect.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes definitely do an oil change.

I've heard it is not an easy thing to do yourself as theres a couples things under the car that need to be removed, so I stupidly I asked them to add it on to the 3000k service and they charged me over $150 to do it

Nah cost-cutting on the VF means there are no underbody aero plates to worry about taking off / putting on, checking to see the shop didn't throw away (happened to me).

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Nah cost-cutting on the VF means there are no underbody aero plates to worry about taking off / putting on, checking to see the shop didn't throw away (happened to me).

Mine has some underbody infill sections Pir4te. I thought the VF SV6 was virtually sealed under the engine bay? Haven't checked this myself though. Not sure about cost cutting theory? Throw in a squllion worth of good gear and save $2 on plastic panels ;-) lol.

BTW my engine feels a little different with the Penrite GF-5. It's quieter and I reckon I can feel the difference in driveability too. Maybe that's just perception but it is definitely quieter. The stuff the dealer used was dexron rated, but "Oils aint oils Sol".

Oh and for clarity the metal bits weren't anything to do with oil age, simply the dip stick gouging the tube. Oil is cheap, and whilst this dexron rated stuff lasts 15,000km easy (even Penrite state this, which must cost them sales), I prefer knowing I have liquid gold pumping through the galleries, so will replace it as early as necessary, i.e. once it starts to change colour. I know this is mainly aesthetic and costs me money, no doubt unnecessarily, but oil just isn't that expensive compared to a blown engine. I've treated all my cars the same since I was a teenager. Good oil changed regularly. My old VP which my nephew still now owns has >500k on the original motor and tranny, and it doesn't use oil.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Just go by the servicing schedule specified by holden you can't go wrong.... If it needed changing before 15 they would have put it in the schedule

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I'm with Whitey5797 on this , 15,000 kays seems a hell of a long time between changes .

6LVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
My western star goes 20,000 Klm between oil changes n I get over 1 million klm's from my engine.
I'll be following the service schedule for my oil changes.
Has anyone done a cost analysis on engine life vs cost of extra expensive oil?
Didn't think so.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Mobil 1 (dexos 1) and genuine filter I pay $100 for my HSV. If I do an additional 8 oil changes in the expected 200,000kms life expectancy of my ownership .. Well you do the math.

If you can tell me where I can get a LS3 engine fitted under that price ....

Also, what's the capacity of your Western Stars sump? I'm guessing its generous in size to allow the long distance oil changes.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
I was surprised to read that the first oil change for my VF SSV doesn't happen until 15,000kms! Am I just a dinosaur living in the past thinking that, now I've hit 3000kms I should drop and change the oil and filter myself?

What have other VF owners done/thoughts?

won't hurt to Drop it, as it'll still be 12,000kms till the first service. Is the oil black black?