Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil change

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Just to add:
It's not uncommon for the oil filter to leak slightly, if it does, it means you have to tighten it a little more. My VY likes the filter fairly tight or else it tends to drip a little oil.
And when you are filling the oil up afterwards, check first what the capacity is in your owner's manual and fill it to a couple hundred ml under what it says, then start checking your dipstick and gradually adding more oil.
After youv'e started the car, the oil level will drop slightly, due to the filter filling up, so you'll have to check the level and should have to add some more.
You don't want to over fill it! Remember, it's easier to add more oil than remove after it's over-filled.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
some good advice i'll just add my 2 cents i know it was said but put a light smear of clean oil on the rubber seal on oil filter . Never over tighten them i always done them up by hand ive never had one leak this way it will make it very easy next time to get them off.

I've done other cars and mine own (where other people have replaced them) and they have been impossible to get off with the proper tool i've had to use a stillston wrench or punch a screwdriver through them to remove. You should never have to do that

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
One thing that ill add is to buy a proper oil filter removal tool. I got one for $12 after a couple years of yelling, swearing, and wasting time undoing it by hand. Never use the tool to put it back on tho.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Smearing a film of clean engine oil on the new oil filter seal, causes the rubber seal to start swelling,so be sure to oil up the seal and then let it sit for 5 minutes or so before installing it ,this way the rubber seal has already began to swell.Then,once the filter has been fitted and tightened by hand,the rubber seal will continue to swell making an excellent oil tight seal....
And as already mentioned above, dont ever use a shifter on the sump plug or on any of the bolts on your car,you may as well use a hammer and screwdriver to undo them as use a shifter.Always try to use a ring spanner where possible.
Theres no need to pre fill the new oil filter before fitting it.The oil pressure only takes a couple of seconds to come up to full pressure from a cold startup anyway..And another thing to look for is sometimes the old oil filter seal can come away from the old oil filter, and stick to the engine.This can cause major problems if its not noticed.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Since I got my VY I have most of the time been filling the filter with oil before fitting it, it is fairly easy to get on without spilling any. It takes a few moments for the oil pressure to come up otherwise. While there may be no specific need to pre fill the filter there is no harm in it and it's pretty easy.
I'd also add you should replace the gasket on the sump plug and if you have one use a torque wrench to make sure you don't over tighten it especially if your not familiar with how tight to do it up.
The sump plug can also be hard to get off and a ring spanner is best followed by a socket for removal. A shifter is a really bad idea even if you could get it on the sump plug head properly.
A good tip is to jack up and support the car so you have room to get the ring spanner in a good position and with the spanner on the plug place one hand over the sump plug end so it can't slip off and damage the sump plug hex which they some times do especially if they are on tight and you don't push it squarely. It doesn't have to be that high so if you don't have stands you can just put some proper sized timber under the wheels, don't use bricks.
You might have to say hold the ring spanner in place with a hand over the plug and give the other end a jolt with your other hand anti clockwise. After you have loosen the sump plug place your oil pan under it and let it drain of if you have used stands and the car is fairly high in the front you will need to lower it before removing the plug fully.
Once it has drained put the sump plug back in finger tight and slide the oil pan under the filter, remove the filter from the top (through the bonnet not under the car) so you can empty the oil into the pan, turn the filter so the hole is to the top and withdraw it from the top (through the bonnet).
Wipe off the engine where it was and refit the new one and as everyone says put some new oil on the seal first. Then slide the tray back under the sump plug, take it out and see if any more oil comes out and refit it with a new washer.
I always have a bit bit of cardboard under the front of the car and do it as above, saves gettign oil on the garage floor.
Refilling as VYMAD says, do it slowly so you don't overfill it.

Last edited:

DAVO84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S1 & VL commodore
also when you fill it up with oil
start the car
the oil light will come on
wait for it to go off then re-check oil and fill up if needed :)

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Hey guys, any harm in overfilling by about 400ML???

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hey guys, any harm in overfilling by about 400ML???

Id be draining it back to the proper level if its been overfilled by that much.I always slightly overfill mine,say 1 or 2 mm over the full line on the dipstick.Ive been doing this now for 25 years and have never had a problem.Id prefer the oil level to be slightly high instead of slightly low...But if you put too much oil in,the crankshaft hits the oil thats sitting in the sump,which then splashes it around inside the engine as the crank spins around, creating high crankcase pressures,which is not real good for the engine seals etc.The crankshaft is supposed to sit just above the oil level in the sump so it doesnt hit the oil as it spins...Oil also gets flung up onto the cylinder walls,way to much for the oil control rings to handle,so lots of oil also gets burned in the combustion process,and because it runs richer from the excess oil,it can foul up spark plugs etc and cause crook running...

Last edited: