Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil changes - how often

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So your conclusions … are a bit thin, and watery ;)
Hahaha, like the pun, intended I’d guess :p:p:p

PS: In reality, the only people I can fault for their oil change intervals aren’t the ones who change at 6, 9 or 12 months after only 2000kms of use, it’s the ones who don’t have a schedule and leave their oil to circulate for years and multiples of 10’s of 1000’s of kms.

And usually it’s only when things start to go wrong do such people try to change their oil (which has probably turned a form of treacle) as a fix to their problems, usually without much success. Such people then whine about their misfortune without recognising it’s simply poor maintenance (thus their fault) :(

Really, if I had to choose, I always would choose to change the oil earlier than needed rather than later and whatever excuse makes me feel comfortable in doing so is ok :cool:

We all need to do a few oil analysis’ and post info on the vehicle, our driving habits, mileage, time between oil change, type/brand of oil, etc, etc, and the oil test results… Maybe we can all learn something from such data…

Wonder if we can get an oil test company‘s involvement where they can provide a discount to JC members :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Idling and loading a cold engine isn't good although I don't know if this is theoretical or physically proven, but I tend hold the revs up a bit on an engine warm up at 1500rpm and as it warms up, a few revs to maybe 2500rpm.

I let a VF V8 idle on cold start until the rpm drops enough to select a gear without standing on the brakes too hard to stop the car moving (auto trans) and drive off on light throttle.
I do similar, start and let it idle until the idle drops, then I drive off. Usually takes 30 seconds most winters. But I wouldn’t recommend idling a car of 10 minutes to warm up or holding the revs higher to get it hotter quicker, just doesn’t feel ideal IMO.

In any case, there is lots of evidence we never see. Probably volumes related to blow-by as measured by TBN which can also be correlated to cold starts. However manufactures and oil companies don’t like sharing info… And TBN and fuel contamination was mentioned at 5.38 in the ”hidden damages” video above…
In 2007 we had 3 race cars running with identical engines (V6 Ecotec's) one on the old Mobil 1 15w50 full synthetic and the other 2 on Castrol GP50 25w50 mineral oil. We didn't run sump baffles at the time and we discovered oil surge under brakes at Phillip Island. The Mobil 1 engine spun a big end suffered a damaged crank from zero oil pressure, but the GP50 engine's didn't with perfect crankshafts and bearings despite the same oil surge zero pressure situation.
Yeah, its a small sample size but such still provides some interesting shared experiences.

However I suspect that many race teams guard the truth closely as it can provide a competitive advantage (or stuff up sponsorship deals). And if you can get your competitors to use a bad oil, even better :p
We think a full synthetic oil is best but is it really?
Who knows what the truth is… It’s all above my pay grade :p:p:p

Just doesn’t feel environmentally friendly to change oil 5 times over 4 odd years when I’ve covered less than 5000 kms in that time…

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I like the Ostrich approach on this, everything is fine!!
love that comment :p

Fun fact, did you know ostrich’s don’t have headaches (ok I just made this up) :p:p:p

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
6 months oil changes with good synth oil regardless of how much driving gets done. Usualy about 5000km anyway...

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
6 months oil changes with good synth oil regardless of how much driving gets done. Usualy about 5000km anyway...

A bit of overkill unless high K's or city driving,every 12 Months should suffice and keep the internals clean.
Just my opinion.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
At 5,000 kms that’s a good choice, but would you change the oil is you had only done 25 kms in that 6 months, just driving it back after the dealer service?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
At 5,000 kms that’s a good choice, but would you change the oil is you had only done 25 kms in that 6 months, just driving it back after the dealer service?
I would

I change the oil after driving a new car or bike home from the dealers, I typically do my engine break in on the drive/ride home

Used cars get the same treatment

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I use Penrite GF5 5W-30 Full Synthetic on our Caprice V 6.0 ltr and the V6 VE Anniversary and I only change the oil in 12 months period. Both cars are due for a oil change in mid September. The Caprice has done only about 100 meters of driving (in and out of the drive way) + i start it every fortnight for around 20m minutes, turn the air on , the V6 VE Anniversary has done in 11 months of driving yes DRIVING about 1,100 k but when it rains I put it quickly back in the Garage because I dont want it getting wet with rain after had the car re painted. Now the Car that does all the work in the house is the VR 1993 Commodore that is due for a old change at September and normally I do about 2500K a year and do drive it in the rain but even I pick the days when driving the rain
NOW !!!!!!
For the Monoro GTS that is over 51 years old (Coming for his 51 Birthday day in December this year) I change the oil too in September and use like the VR Comm I use Castrol Magntec 10W40 and the Monro has done around 20K's in 40 years yes 20,000 metres in that time between one house to the new house than park it. Some say I Mad, I dont I mad but do admit I have OCD.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I use Penrite GF5 5W-30 Full Synthetic on our Caprice V 6.0 ltr and the V6 VE Anniversary and I only change the oil in 12 months period. Both cars are due for a oil change in mid September. The Caprice has done only about 100 meters of driving (in and out of the drive way) + i start it every fortnight for around 20m minutes, turn the air on , the V6 VE Anniversary has done in 11 months of driving yes DRIVING about 1,100 k but when it rains I put it quickly back in the Garage because I dont want it getting wet with rain after had the car re painted. Now the Car that does all the work in the house is the VR 1993 Commodore that is due for a old change at September and normally I do about 2500K a year and do drive it in the rain but even I pick the days when driving the rain
NOW !!!!!!
For the Monoro GTS that is over 51 years old (Coming for his 51 Birthday day in December this year) I change the oil too in September and use like the VR Comm I use Castrol Magntec 10W40 and the Monro has done around 20K's in 40 years yes 20,000 metres in that time between one house to the new house than park it. Some say I Mad, I dont I mad but do admit I have OCD.
I would be driving the Caprice.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I'm trying to work that out too. Can't wait for the warranty to run out so I can change oil once a year....