Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil consumtion on Alloytec?

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
i can see this being another arguement thread on which oil is the best haha..but while on the subject what would be say top 5 options for my exec with 114XXX on the clock..driven fairly nice..bit of stick here and there..

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Old thread, sorry but.
I just have to chime in and say my VZ uses the same amount of oil as the original poster, who seems to have upgraded to a VE. Oh well.
I took delivery of this at 60000 k and in beautiful condition kept it that way to it's now at 150000k, regular sub 10000 oil changes always with Nulon 5w30. Always surprised that 5 litres or less comes out when 6.5 ltrs go in.
The motor runs very well with no leaks and no smoke.
Thinking next time I might changing to another brand oil first before changing viscosity , maybe Castrol Edge just to see if I still use so much oil.
Unless I can be convinced I am damaging my engine I should stick to the viscosity that has kept the engine strong since I have had it, that's my thoughts, uneducated as they are.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I would stay with Nulon and changing it regularly as you have been. But watch the dipstick at least weekly.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Old thread, sorry but.
I just have to chime in and say my VZ uses the same amount of oil as the original poster, who seems to have upgraded to a VE. Oh well.
I took delivery of this at 60000 k and in beautiful condition kept it that way to it's now at 150000k, regular sub 10000 oil changes always with Nulon 5w30. Always surprised that 5 litres or less comes out when 6.5 ltrs go in.
The motor runs very well with no leaks and no smoke.
Thinking next time I might changing to another brand oil first before changing viscosity , maybe Castrol Edge just to see if I still use so much oil.
Unless I can be convinced I am damaging my engine I should stick to the viscosity that has kept the engine strong since I have had it, that's my thoughts, uneducated as they are.
At 185k with mine and no oil burn with edge 5w30, tried 5w40 thinking might be better with the KMs but rattled on cold start so back to 5w30 and runs sweet

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I find it odd that engines consume no oil seeing as minute amounts of oil remain on the bore walls during operation and some oil vapour will go through the PCV system and be consumed by the combustion process that way.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I find it odd that engines consume no oil seeing as minute amounts of oil remain on the bore walls during operation and some oil vapour will go through the PCV system and be consumed by the combustion process that way.
They probably do but the carbon other crap etc in oil replaces the volume

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Another oil change here, 7500kms since last.
I lost 1.6 ltrs of oil.

No oil leaks, no smoke.

I'm still using Nulon because I bought a stack at once. I might buy Castrol when I see it half price and see how we go with that next time.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
thats nothing dont worry about it mine uses 3 litres 222000k and driven hard it would cost 3 to 4 thousand to fix it