Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil consumtion on Alloytec?

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
it's great **** really quietens down the alloytec.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I drive a company diesel Landcruiser at work and it uses oil. Another blokes one that is slightly older uses a sump-full between services! :whistling These are new government owned vehicles with <40k on the clock, I'm happy with my VY using 50-100 ml between changes!! (6-7k) :thumbsup:

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
it's great **** really quietens down the alloytec.

Just remember though, a quiet engine isn't always a good engine. And a noisy engine doesn't mean an unhealthy engine.

My VL Turbo has had the lifters changed and it still makes a noise. Its a $35,000 engine and been running for over 5 years like it, and it also has run many times over the quarter and done several 10 sec passes.

So quietness alone doesn't mean that the oil is the correct viscosity. Correct viscosity oil depends on age of car, kms travelled etc etc. Ecotecs used to rattle and some of those have done hundreds of thousands of kms.

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
castrol edge 10W60, on sale at repco this week...

monaro and i use it in our alloytecs, that should say enough, lol

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
there's no correct viscosity mate. the fact is 10w-60 oil has the best load handling out of all oils on the market.

the bloke from Mainlude recommend i use 10w-60 oil in my alloytec, he said people will claim it's to thick but that makes no sense scientifically or technically. he reckons it will double the life of the motor.

i was origionally using mobil 1 10w-40 but the castrol 10w-60 is about $30 a bottle cheaper so it's win win great oil great protection. great price.

gregiem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
It's the same with everything in life... you get what you pay for. Don't skimp on oil costs, it's what stops your motor stuffing up. I use Mobil 1, sure it's not cheap but a lot of race engines use it and they cop more of a flogging than I'll ever give to mine.
As for oil loss it also depends on how you drive, the type of driving you do, where you live, the type of oil and rating you use, how often you service your car, the age of/ number of km it has done.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
there's no correct viscosity mate. the fact is 10w-60 oil has the best load handling out of all oils on the market.

the bloke from Mainlude recommend i use 10w-60 oil in my alloytec, he said people will claim it's to thick but that makes no sense scientifically or technically. he reckons it will double the life of the motor.

i was origionally using mobil 1 10w-40 but the castrol 10w-60 is about $30 a bottle cheaper so it's win win great oil great protection. great price.

Im kind of skeptical about using such thick oil unless the car is being used at high revs all the time (Track car ect) The oil needs to be able to get into all the small galleries in the head which are very small on modern engines, hence Holden recommending 10-30 oil. 10-40 is as thick as i would go if the motor has less then 100k on it. Once the motor gets a bit older then i would put in a 20-50 or 10-60.

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
Just remember though, a quiet engine isn't always a good engine. And a noisy engine doesn't mean an unhealthy engine.

+1

I’m on M1 0W40

Provided the car is making sufficient OP (MIN -- idle: 65kPA, 2krpm: 138kPa) and isn’t consuming excessive oil I see reason to increase oil weight, for a non FI, non track driven car.

oilpress.jpg

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
castrol edge 10W60, on sale at repco this week...

monaro and i use it in our alloytecs, that should say enough, lol

OMG....that is the ultimate recommendation if you two guys use it. Im going straight out to do an oil change with 10w/60 :p haha....not. Thats great if you guys are under the impression that you are using the best oil for your engine.

Its great to hear how people come about using the grade of oil that they use. Some reasons though are a little hard to fathom are; eg because one guy said it was good oil, because my mate has never had issues, because the V8 Supercars use it, because my mechanic is god, because the Holden dealer in my town uses this oil so it must be good (each dealer can vary with which oil they use) etc.

Everyone has their own opinion on the best oil to use. Its great to see that we are not all the same. Even mechanics at the same Holden dealership in my town recommend different viscosities and mechanics I talk with at other workshops think different again....so this goes to show that there are no right or wrong answers to oil viscosity as the variables are endless.

Each alloytec engine undergoes different driving conditions and styles, different performance mods, different kms travelled etc.....so really there shouldn't be just one type of viscosity oil that people use for their alloytecs, and for people to think that there is only one suitable oil........then thats absurd.

Interesting reading peoples thoughts and comments when put into words though :)