Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil filter wrench/cup

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I bought one of these jaw/gear type ones. If there's a filter that's too small I just wrap a towel or something rubber around it. Fits a bunch of stuff and can just throw it in the tool box.

s-l1600.jpg

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I bought one of these jaw/gear type ones. If there's a filter that's too small I just wrap a towel or something rubber around it. Fits a bunch of stuff and can just throw it in the tool box.

s-l1600.jpg

I have this one too. I only use it to remove filter as it scratches and dents filter

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Thanks for that, and the general heads up on the filter sockets. I ended up buying one via eBay, but from a different seller and saved an additional $0.51.

This is an expensive forum to read - I also brought some spare mounting bolts for the Brembo calipers from the States on the advice of another forum member. I ended up buying threes sets of bolts to make the international postage worthwhile. I’ve had an costly day saving money!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Thanks for that, and the general heads up on the filter sockets. I ended up buying one via eBay, but from a different seller and saved an additional $0.51.

This is an expensive forum to read - I also brought some spare mounting bolts for the Brembo calipers from the States on the advice of another forum member. I ended up buying threes sets of bolts to make the international postage worthwhile. I’ve had an costly day saving money!
Log off now bruz

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I saw that but they looked crap quality. A whole box for 50 buck.. a bit suss

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for and no doubt there are other filter wrenches on the market that are better quality but as these do a wide range which is what I'm after and as I only use them about once a year they do the job.

If I was removing filters for a living I'd most likely look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I primarily bought mine as i need it to tighten the filter 3/4 of a turn after contact. Much easier this way :)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Looks the goods mate. No moving parts and no tightening on the filter as it's a cup design. Even with increased torque, it shouldn't damage the filter. I'll pick a set up. Thanks!

I just threw those up as an example as I actually use the ones in the link below (not from this seller) because it has 93mm 36 flute wrench that suits the old Ford Autolite filters used on my Cleveland.

I've had the set for a couple of years and as you said the cup design grips well and doesn't damage the filter unlike many other types of wrenches I've tried over the years and even though the quality isn't pro spec I'm still happy with the way they perform for the limited use they get.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30Pcs-Cu...170065?hash=item212e632451:g:wA4AAOSwHqRZwNvQ

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Use one of these for all my Ls's & works very well!
61Ah0gUrswL._SL1000_.jpg

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
a lot of the stuff on the market today that we use on our cars was years ago unaffordable to the harry average as the stuff was all made for commercial use in workshops.
like panhead said you only get what you pay for , but for home workshop and occasional use the stuff works fine
people now have four post hoist at home, workshop presses , compressors with rattle guns and all sorts of specialty tools that are all cheap and if it stuffs up , you throw it away and buy another,
in the early 70s i saved and saved and brought a sidchrome mechanics tool chest , it was a months salary, and those tools are the same today as the day i brought them and a pleasure to use
but back then there was no cheap stuff around
today you can fit out your garage like a full on service department but for bugger all we are lucky