Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in radiator ?

turbovich

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
As title, what's this ?. There's no coolant in auto trans or motor and retorqued plenum. I'm thinking it's a split in auto cooler radiator component. Flushed it several times and has improved. But for how long, I don't know. Any way to test that internal cooling unit?
IMG_20200313_182213.jpg

Last edited:

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
That does look like trans fluid, the internal cooling unit is just a tube with a line to the top and a line to the bottom of it..
Need a new radiator to fix it..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agree with above, that looks like a lot more oil percentage that a leaky LIM gasket would cause.

turbovich

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
Hmmmm. Ok, thanks for replies. Odd thing is, that now the coolant has evaporated on driveway, the red fluid is now dusty material. Not oil. ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If it is trans fluid getting into radiator, the coolant is getting into transmission. The later will quickly kill the transmission so I wouldn’t drive it at all until it’s sorted... even if that means trucking it to a place of repair...

Hopefully a new radiator and full coolant will sort out the cooling side and then a full transmission flush and new fluid will sort out any trans issues... hopefully...

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
Hmmmm. Ok, thanks for replies. Odd thing is, that now the coolant has evaporated on driveway, the red fluid is now dusty material. Not oil. ?

If it's not oil maybe some type of stop leak?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
All most looks like art, defiantly trans fluid, the core in the radiator is farked, I would flush the transmission and change filter.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
As title, what's this ?. There's no coolant in auto trans or motor and retorqued plenum. I'm thinking it's a split in auto cooler radiator component. Flushed it several times and has improved. But for how long, I don't know. Any way to test that internal cooling unit?View attachment 209935
that looks like when a green monster gets the corona virus shits

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
If it is trans fluid getting into radiator, the coolant is getting into transmission. The later will quickly kill the transmission so I wouldn’t drive it at all until it’s sorted... even if that means trucking it to a place of repair...

Hopefully a new radiator and full coolant will sort out the cooling side and then a full transmission flush and new fluid will sort out any trans issues... hopefully...
I think you get the lollies on this one

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition