Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in the coolant, but no coolant in the oil??

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
haha yer I always get distracted by other jobs, cant wait to hear results.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
OK, so jobs done - yuck! The gaskets were rooted, so old in fact they looked original!

Still running the coolant flush thru system, wont know for sure if problem's solved till its flushed etc, but by the state of the old gaskets - should be sweet, and best of all, no heads were removed in the repair of this engine!!

Couple of things to check - the new gaskets have 2 locating pins each, the old gaskets had 1 each, the holes in the block for the second pins were so packed with gunk i had to drill them out to let the gaskets lay flat! Also i used the compressor to blow all the crap from scraping the old gaskets away - the whole car is now covered in gunk - so am I, ah the joys of diy mechanics!

Good luck - i'll poost up confirmation the problems cured in a couple of days.

Now who wants to buy a VR???

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
the whole car is now covered in gunk - so am I, ah the joys of diy mechanics!

Good luck - i'll poost up confirmation the problems cured in a couple of days.

Now who wants to buy a VR???

Yeah, but doesn't it give you a feeling of satisfaction knowing that you saved a shitload of money doing something for yourself and having done it right.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
So its been a week since doing the intake gaskets, car is sweet, no more gunk building up in the rad - I call this myth confirmed! Thanks all for your input and advice!

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
Hey there,

I had this problem only last week with a mates car, it's a V6 running with automatic transmission.
It had gunk at the top of the radiator after a normal cruise.
Cleaned it and again returned the next cruise.
I suspected that the gunk was being created by transmission fluid coming into the radiator, the easy way I found to test this was to remove both transmission lines, then block one pipe. Then using a air compressor pump air into the other pipe. Remove the radiator cap, then you will see in the water bubbles apearing in the water/coolant if there is a leak from transmission cooler.

Obviously the no-brainers are "radiator not to be hot under pressure", and try to keep the transmission lines blocked to save loss of fluid, while testing.
If this finds the problem, you can either put a seperate trasmission cooler to save a bit of cash, or just replace the radiator.

Radiators in Adelaide are $165 brand new.

Thanks

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Awesome, I will replace my inlet gasket soon.

Or might just stick engine in for a rebuild with some mods since the bearings are shot.

pedrod59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II Supercharged Calais
Yep - thanks for the heads up on looking for strawberry colour - i rekon that concludes that mine is gasket as well. Cheers all, i'll do the fix tomorrow and post the results! :thumbsup:

Hi gsxrdan,
How did you go with the inlet manifold gasket? Did you get it changed and has it fixed your problem. I had added a thread in the VY section of "Just Commodores"
I have the same problem with my Supercharged VY Series II Calais.
Thought it was the trans cooler. Had a new radiator fitted 6 months ago and then noticed a week ago oil getting back under the radiator cap and radiator dipstick.
Took it to the local Holden Dealer, and mentioned these threads about the Valley Cover/ Inlet mainifold gasket and he said he has never heard of it before. Strange, because quite a few members here has said it is a common problem with the Ecotec motors.

Anyhow, if you can let me know how everything went with yours I may be able to convince the mechanic there is a real problem and get it fixed.

Cheers

Peter

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged