Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leak from VR 5ltr. .

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Borrowed time for sure, but it should stay away long enough for you to fix the other issues these engines are renowned for ;)

blo304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
No he's right. If you have the hook tool you dont have to pull the motor out.

I thought you meant just a hook to pull out a 1 piece lip seal like a V6 :p

Yes you can change it without dropping the crank but it's not easy and the op and most people would #### it up trying..

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP

Yeah that 'Sneaky Pete' tool is what i was refering to. Dont have to take the motor out but I can have a motor out in 1.5 hours so its way easier then working upside down with less then half a meter of vertical room plus all the other **** in the way.

Ok guys just a quick update. Ive just hooked the oil pressure switch back up and taken the car for a drive and the light didnt come on once!
So hopefully its just dryed out and fixed itself.?
Also i chucked some "stop leaks" stuff in the engine and the rear main has stopped leaking also. .
Maybe a combination of putting thicker oil in and the stop leak stuff has stopped it for the time being?

Score! Feels good to get the guesses right on that one :) Never a better time do deserve some rep!

89vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Ve clubsport
Yeah thanks mate.!
It will prob leak again now that its started but ill worry about that later.
Im in the process of doing the cosmetics of the car (stone chips and little scratches).
But thanks to all for your help. Much appreciated!

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
I degreased my engine and had the same thing oil pressure light coming on, i just replaced it cos it was only 20 bux, and while i was there i bought a 26mm spanner for 5 bux as well and used that to get the old one off new one on. Took the alternator off, that was all. Pain in the ass to get to with the angles and stuff but its doable...You own a 5L, you're used to it.

89vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Ve clubsport
I only brought this 5ltr 5years ago because it was fairly cheap and it was the last VR ss bt1 built.
(That doesnt mean much but might one day) and it currently only has 150,000 original ks on it.
Its been in me shed for the last 4and a half years. Chucked a battery in it and it fired 1st go!
Good cars when there going. A prick when there not! Lol.
Ive got a vz ss 6ltr and its nice but nothing like the old 5ltr!

vs hay hauler

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Mine was leaking oil from the rear of the intake and pools around the dizzy shaft , so when it went up on ramps it poured down the back on the motor more so.
worth checking.

89vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Ve clubsport
Thanks mate. Yeah after getting it up on a hoist it doesnt look like the rear main now.
Ill have a check on the bottom of the dizzy tomorrow.
Its still leaking only a tiny bit but enough to piss me off!
Is it easy to see if its leaking from the dizzy?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Bets fix....drip tray with sand in it. When it worries you and get sick of it, change the sand out and it all looks ok agin:)