Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can you remove the Rear main seal buy removing the sump

hrtmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTHSV
Hey there

i own a 5 litre vt manual clubsport with the 304 engine

I have heard that the rear main seal can be removed by removing the sump cover, is this correct or does the gearbox have to be removed as well.

Oil is leaking out of my sump cover as well as the main seal so if im removing the sump cover it makes sense to me to do both.

can someone tell me if this is correct,

If someone could post a picture of the bottom of the 304 engine with the sump removed if they have one as well it would be much appreciated

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
motor needs to come out as you need to remove the crank to do the main seal in a 5L

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
So you have to take the motor out in the 5ltr and only drop the box in a 3.8?
I dont know about the 3.8 but I have done a 5L and yes the crank has to come out as they are a 2 piece seal

hrtmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTHSV
motor needs to come out as you need to remove the crank to do the main seal in a 5L

ive just realized that i wrote main seal in the question, i was refering to the rear main seal, is removing the crank still needed.

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
ive just realized that i wrote main seal in the question, i was refering to the rear main seal, is removing the crank still needed.
yeah thats what I was referring to
rear main

Gav86

Reaction score
dont no about the 5 litres but cant see how it would be different to the v6 or the gen 3 where u can remove the sump and dont have to remove the motor (stil a pain in the arse though)

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The 304's use a two piece rope seal, as do early (pre-VN S2) V6.

You can do the rope seals with the engine and trans. in the car using a 'Sneaky Pete'. A 'Sneaky Pete' is a wire rope with a handle on one end and a means of grabbing the rope seal attached to the other end of it. It is used to install the new seal (oil sump off, old seal removed) by passing the wire rope over the crank in the seal groove (between the block and the crank) and pulling the new seal into place after it.

It does require some skill to use effectively. It is possible to scratch the crank, or stretch the rope seal if it is not done correctly - the crank needs to be rotated with it as the seal is drawn into place. The ends of the seal are trimmed off in situ with a piece of brass shim or similar against the crank to prevent marking the crank seal running surface. The half of the seal in the main bearing cap is fitted as it would be with the crank removed. A thin film of Loctite 515 or similar needs to be applied between the main cap and the block surface - too much will reduce the bearing crush.

clubsport999

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 commodore hsv VS Clubsport sedan
I have use of a car hoist and i could use a sneaky pete to replace rear main seal in my V8 VS Clubby but how do you remove the sump while engine is still in car ?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I have use of a car hoist and i could use a sneaky pete to replace rear main seal in my V8 VS Clubby but how do you remove the sump while engine is still in car ?

Well I imagine you support the engine with a big slab of wood across the strut tower and some chain, and remove the crossmember.