Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil level on dipstick

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey all! I've been having some problems with oil top-ups in my 3.0l Sidi VE. The dipstick is a little difficult to read. It clearly needed some extra oil, so I added some. But, now I notice one side (the top) shows that the oil is maybe half way between the min and max areas, whereas the other (bottom) side shows oil slightly past the max area. I'm finding this dipstick particularly hard to read, and just wanna know how you guys interpret this?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Read it again.
Has to be same on both sides being liquid.

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I've read it many times under different temps and on a flat surface. Whichever side is top when going in reads lower than the other. I assume it has to do with the angle of the tube and the tip of the dipstick being quite thick/large. Not sure why they didn't use a flat dipstick.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
when i change the oil/filter and add the correct amount of oil so when i check the dip stick its on the full mark
vz -vf alloytecs holds aprox 6.5ltrs of oil
so if it using oil thats not a good sign when did you last change the oil/filter

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
when i change the oil/filter and add the correct amount of oil so when i check the dip stick its on the full mark
vz -vf alloytecs holds aprox 6.5ltrs of oil
so if it using oil thats not a good sign when did you last change the oil/filter
I'm not really worried about oil consumption - it's been pretty reasonable considering how I've driven it. I'm only topping up because I like to keep it above half way on the dipstick (I only added maybe 100-200ml).

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
I'm not really worried about oil consumption - it's been pretty reasonable considering how I've driven it. I'm only topping up because I like to keep it above half way on the dipstick (I only added maybe 100-200ml).
alloytec engines are known to build up sludge if you dont do regular oil changes it recommended at least every 7500km or twice a year