Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OIL? SERIOUSLY WHATS BEST?

DUKEVESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS HOLDEN UTE.
Hows it going all. I'm new so if I f&$# it up. To bad I guess. I've recently got hold of a 07 VE SS UTE. I've researched so many threads on best oil viscosity for the 07 VE L98. MOTORS GOT A BIT DONE TO. dyno told me 340+klwrw. Anyway I've started running it on NULON RACING OIL 10W60.Sonny Duran told me to use 10W60. I swear to God the lifters are now noisy I also mix in BEST LINE. any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

DUKEVESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS HOLDEN UTE.
I have no idea on what oil was used previously. All I know it took 2 full oil changes/flushes to clean the engine up.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if 10-60 made lifters noisy then go thinner, i was on that but found 10-40 much better and i dont use any additives

DUKEVESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS HOLDEN UTE.
if 10-60 made lifters noisy then go thinner, i was on that but found 10-40 much better and i dont use any additives
Thanks mate. I appreciate you getting back to me. I guess I use best line because it legitimately reduces friction. And it can't hurt.

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Welcome to the forum.. Ahh the old oil question what is best for my car
Well the best oil that your car will perform at it's best is what the maker recommends
and most parts suppliers can help you out as they have all the charts etc.
At the end of the day if you are doing the oil change you will put in what you think is best
But if a motor is stuffed due to neglect no amount of good oil will fix it.
The secret to engine longevity is very frequent changes and that includes the filter.
I am happy using Valvoline 10w 30 fully synthetic
Over 200k and still going strong even towing.

DUKEVESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS HOLDEN UTE.
Ahh the old oil question what is best for my car
Well the best oil that your car will perform at it's best is what the maker recommends
and most parts suppliers can help you out as they have all the charts etc.
At the end of the day if you are doing the oil change you will put in what you think is best
But if a motor is stuffed due to neglect no amount of good oil will fix it.
The secret to engine longevity is very frequent changes and that includes the filter.
I am happy using Valvoline 10w 30 fully synthetic
Over 200k and still going strong even towing.
Thanks buddy.i went with the 10W60 because my so called guru said he puts it in all his HP L98s. But I honestly think my lifters made even more noise. 10W40 was my first choice. Obviously I've just wasted $200 quills. Live and learn rite. Cheers mate.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
10W60 sounds a bit thick but depends what sort of driving you're doing. On a track it would probably heat up enough to become quiet.
If you find the 10W40 is too thin you could go for the 10W50 Synpower or HPR10 I guess or even the penrite racing stuff if that's what your into.

sidespyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
servicing my 08 ss (l98) from 60,000 (now 80K)

5-30 castrol edge

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Thanks buddy.i went with the 10W60 because my so called guru said he puts it in all his HP L98s. But I honestly think my lifters made even more noise. 10W40 was my first choice. Obviously I've just wasted $200 quills. Live and learn rite. Cheers mate.
Always ran 10w60 in l98 proven to be the best oil for them, I have t bar lifters which need 5w40 oil so maybe your engine had them fitted as part of cam etc

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
In my stock L98 I use Penrite semi synthetic 10w-40 and the engine is near silent. No lifter noise, and that’s with 175k on it.
I 100% recommend this oil.