Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OIL? SERIOUSLY WHATS BEST?

Loud n proud1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv S2. Z series
I had the same thing happen to my 2012 ve ssv. Was recommended using 10-60. Within about an hour of driving l noticed a tapping noise from my engine, it sounded horrible. Went straight home and dumped the oil, used wifes car to go buy mobil 1 5-30 full synthetic dexon, as stated on oil cap. Instantly quieten the engine, some people love the 10-60, but my engine hated it

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
What about a heavily modded 08 SS? (160k on the clock)

10w40?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Even though my engine isn't an L98, it's still an LS so I'll just post this up here anyway.

HPR5 5w40.png
I had been using the Penrite HPR5, 5w40 in my VZ 1 Tonner.
A few things I noticed were......
# After sitting for a week (it's not my daily) and not being driven the rocker gear would be noisy on start up for a second or two....There would be no oil film left on the valve train/rockers and it was basically a bone dry start for them.
# During the extreme heat & high humidity of the wet season the oil pressure would be lower at idle (at operating temp) compared to the pressure at idle (at operating temp) during the cooler dry season months. This is obviously to be expected and the oil pressure was fine when compared to manufacturers specs, but it was a visible enough difference on the gauge that it made me do a check.
# Valve train noisy at operating temp....not extreme but more noticeable
RACING10 10W40.png
After doing some research on it I decided to give the Penrite Racing 10, 10w40 a shot and I'm glad I did.
Now there is:
# No more rattly sounding dry starts after sitting for a week and not being driven
# Oil pressure is also higher at start up when cold
# Consistent oil pressure during the heat & humidity of the wet season when under bonnet temps can get ridiculously high
# Valve train is a lot quieter now at operating temp

Just my 2 cents worth from my experience using these two oils.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah that 10 tenths is a real deal proper synthetic unlike the others which are not as real.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Yeah that 10 tenths is a real deal proper synthetic unlike the others which are not as real.

Yeah it's definitely good stuff, I'm impressed with it and will continue using it.
When Supercheap had their big discounts on the entire Penrite range a while back I bought 4 bottles of it because it was that much cheaper.
But then again, who buys their engine oil at full retail price anyway :)

Last edited:

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Even tho I have no issue with the hpr5 next time I’ll try the 10/10ths 10w40. I like the penrite stuff as it has high zinc. Good for the old cars also. The little oil funnel adaptor makes pouring the oil in much easier

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
When Supercheap had their big discounts on the entire Penrite range a while back I bought 4 bottles of it because it was that much cheaper.
But then again, who buys their engine oil at full retail price anyway :)
There are some good sales around but you've got to get in early. It's all over by lunchtime usually. I haven't used anything less than a full syn in my cars for yonks as the full syn stuff costs peanuts on sale and runs so much cleaner than the cheap stuff. But yeah the 10 10ths is one of the only real organic chemistry grade synthetics on the shelf at most places. I'm still yet to try it though, maybe next summer!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute