Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil serperator/ Catch can

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Hi all I’m looking at getting one of these Mann-Hummel oil separator to put on my VF SSV.
(https://www.westernfilters.net.au/content/pdfs/Mann_Pro-Vent.pdf)

Question is, has anyone used them on their car?
Also they seem to be rated by kilowatt output so would I be better off going with the 400 over the 200 series?

I am planning on doing the standard V8 stuff - Exhaust OTR and tune which is why I’m leaning towards the 400kw one.

I know there are much cheaper oil separators/ catch cans available but I really like that it is plastic and would look OE to most ppl.
I also really like the filter element which is washable and replaceable.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Hi all I’m looking at getting one of these Mann-Hummel oil separator to put on my VF SSV.
(https://www.westernfilters.net.au/content/pdfs/Mann_Pro-Vent.pdf)

Question is, has anyone used them on their car?
Also they seem to be rated by kilowatt output so would I be better off going with the 400 over the 200 series?

I am planning on doing the standard V8 stuff - Exhaust OTR and tune which is why I’m leaning towards the 400kw one.

I know there are much cheaper oil separators/ catch cans available but I really like that it is plastic and would look OE to most ppl.
I also really like the filter element which is washable and replaceable.
I am not so sure you need one unless you intend to track it. My tuner agrees.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I guess it depends on how long you intend to keepit. the car, if it's a long term investment then keeping the inside of the intake nice and clean is worth It.

I believe those units were originally designed for diesel engines which have a lot more going on so for a petrol engine the smaller one will do the job fine.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
I am not so sure you need one unless you intend to track it. My tuner agrees.

I would like to track the car once or twice a year.

I guess it depends on how long you intend to keepit. the car, if it's a long term investment then keeping the inside of the intake nice and clean is worth It.

I believe those units were originally designed for diesel engines which have a lot more going on so for a petrol engine the smaller one will do the job fine.

It’s going to be a long term car and I’m just wanting to keep it as good as I can

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Keep us updated on your install won't you Mattricho. Looks like a quality unit. Good find and thanks for sharing!

I also prefer the underbonnet to look OEM. The Aluminum catch cans look a little too bling for me.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Provent is overkill for a daily. You can reuse your existing pcv setup and just insert a can along the path like below. Doesn't even need to be fancy, gravity catches the wet stuff

20180417_115041~01.jpg

Provent comes with its own pcv system and is designed around flogging diesels with mega blowby

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
What other good oil serperator/ catch cans would you recommend?

I don’t like the look of the alloy ones which is one reason I like this one, also I like that there’s an actual filter on it to catch the oil as opposed to steel wool or drilled holes.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Provent is overkill for a daily. You can reuse your existing pcv setup and just insert a can along the path like below. Doesn't even need to be fancy, gravity catches the wet stuff

View attachment 199042

Provent comes with its own pcv system and is designed around flogging diesels with mega blowby
Also sold as high performance solution for Camaro by summit and rebranded by Lingenfelter as their top catch can.
I was looking at the 400 series but Lingenfelter use two x 200 for procharged Corvettes.