Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil to shut L98 lifter noise up

poolkeeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
L98's are a noisy motor, full stop! :)

I use 10/60 Castrol edge for maximum protection.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
my 2006 ss has 98000km on it and ive always used 10w30 oil and no lifter noise at all even on startup.

You're going to get that.

Some motors will be rattly as all hell. Some will be quiet as a mouse.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Going back to square one, your ride shows as VE SS, a question first - were you using 5w -30 previously, and moved to the thicker oils with no difference in the noise? I agree with Sean880, use the recommended oil, but I can understand if you had lifter noises and you tried something heavier, but if you have only used heavier oils since you've had the car, it's logical to try the recommended oil. 10- 40 Magnatec seems to be gaining a reputation for sludging oil.

The workshop I use for my VX SS use the Magnatec 15w40 Professional Range in mine, they race and tune heaps of LS engined cars and I have been using it for the past 6 years, the inside of my engine is spotless, no sign of sludge, regular oil changes are the go to avoid sludge. I have been tempted to try the Penrite 10w50 to see how that is, oddly enough I have read articles about Penrite and sludge.

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Just my two cents. I bought my VE SSV a little over 12 months ago with 98K on the clock. The engine was quite noisy. Seemed to be the lifters ticking. I changed the oil to Castrol Magnatec 10W/40 and it was quieter but could still here the lifter tick when cold. Did some research on this site regarding oil types that would quieten the lifters, obviously there were many different opinions. Castrol Edge 10W60 seemed the preferred favourite, but as some Penrite HPR5 5W/40 came on special at S/C I thought I'd give it a go and I am very impressed with the result. No more lifter tick and an engine that runs very quiet, smoother and seems to have a little more power.

Last edited:

Nene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE EXECUTIVE LUMUNA 2007
Hi guys, yep i am a female with a custom heart ( built & customised a 64 EH ute myself ) but also have a VE 2007 6c lumina.... .just started to get a lifter ticking noise at rear of motor.... mostly apears after motor warmed up..am now using penrite HPR5 full synthetic 5w40.( VISCOSITY higher than std recomendation.....spent many years as a spare parts interpreter for companies in sydney and rose to 2ic ...so whats your thoughts on this oil for my VE...not afraid of tech info boys!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hi guys, yep i am a female with a custom heart ( built & customised a 64 EH ute myself ) but also have a VE 2007 6c lumina.... .just started to get a lifter ticking noise at rear of motor.... mostly apears after motor warmed up..am now using penrite HPR5 full synthetic 5w40.( VISCOSITY higher than std recomendation.....spent many years as a spare parts interpreter for companies in sydney and rose to 2ic ...so whats your thoughts on this oil for my VE...not afraid of tech info boys!
(6c?) Is yours a V6 or a 6L? If it's a V6, it doesn't have lifters. The oil you mention should be fine. But I always stick to the manufacturer's recommendation re weight and viscosity.

Jodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
HOLDEN VE SS-V stage 2 walkinshaw enhanced black/b
I have read thru the various on here about different oils for noisy lifters. My situation is I replaced all my lifters but to my horror the noise is back tho not as loud as before. I was using magnatec 10 40 but tried a 10 70 penrite instead and I think it made the lifter noise louder. The magnitude is basically I can just hear the ticking at idle hot and cold with drivers window down. Somebody suggested maybe the lifters aren't bleeding properly or something. I did run a torch over the cam lobes quickly while winding motor by hand and the lifter rollers all looked Schmicko. Anybody got any ideas of what I could try?
Tie bar lifters , tiny bits of block the lifter and (jam wheels usually mark cam ) causing it to bleed of and noise can come from the worn lifter retainer cover

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
The workshop I use for my VX SS use the Magnatec 15w40 Professional Range in mine, they race and tune heaps of LS engined cars and I have been using it for the past 6 years, the inside of my engine is spotless, no sign of sludge, regular oil changes are the go to avoid sludge. I have been tempted to try the Penrite 10w50 to see how that is, oddly enough I have read articles about Penrite and sludge.
I'm running Penrite 10w50 and both my engine and I love it. (Highly modded 08 SS with 150k on the clock)

KHOLDEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SSV Redline ute
A1216008.jpg

Heard the results for myself in a dirty old '99 VR-4, was so noisy cold I thought it was #u(Ked, was quiet as after the MBL8

CRAZYDOG

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM CAPRICE V8
if you got stickey lifters, seafoam is a good option . read directions and follow them. best to use recommended oil only in standard engines ..or be stupid and damage ur car . if they recommend other oil then they better have good insurance ..lol