Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oils ain't oils Sol

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Don't know about the revs but they've got lots of power and massive torque, below is a few volvos deisel truck variants

View attachment 256032

and these trucks have 150,000kms service intervals with what must be crazy cylinder pressures and bearing loads :eek:

[/URL]
lucky to spin to 2000 revs, they are just ticking along lot less stress than you think hence 1 million kms on these possible

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
The can of worms has been opened ....LOL
To be clear my engine is an LSA 6.2 supercharged not sure how we deviated into the world of diesel and trucks .
90 % of the time it gets driven as a commuter and hwy travel and never bounced of the limiter no burn outs.........sadly
as i do like to keep my license not like when i was a young buck .
My choice
Back to Mobil 1 and its higher cost
Use what shop has at this time Castrol
Change to Penrite
option 4 ...........?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don’t think Mobil 1 would be more expensive than Penrite or Nulon?
It certainly wasn’t the last time I was looking to buy Mobil 1 (at least - not at RRP - obviously sales mess that comparo up :)).

Nothing wrong with Mobil 1, and IMHO under normal use even Costco brand (oil in the right rating) changed regularly is going to be better than the most fancy oil being changed every 40k kms … however, cars are kinda expensive, so I don’t mind paying extra for oil.
I’ve been happy with either Nulon or Penrite for engine-oil, for the last decade or more … have used Royal Purple for manual trans & non-clutch-type LSD diff oil.
Castrol … I think it was called Formula R or Rimula R, certainly had/has R in the name, that used to be the bees knees … but I think it’s gone from being the best oil they had to being a whole range of oils (like Pirelli P-Zero tyres - used to be THE tyre if you had a supercar, now it’s everything to everyone) … but in the right specs it should still be good stuff.

Last edited:

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
Thanks Frog and all that contributed ,
its not like the sky is falling it still runs well has no issues and gets its oil changed before manufactures
suggestion .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Does the Maloo have a factory fitted oil cooler?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Does the Maloo have a factory fitted oil cooler?
IIRC the LSA’s all come with fluid/air coolers for engine, gearbox and diff :p

The Holden Motorsport edition missed out on the diff cooler (and had a naff oil cooler bolted to the side of the engine) :rolleyes:

But I’ve no idea the size of these coolers and if they differer between models :oops:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

The Holden Motorsport edition missed out on the diff cooler (and had a naff oil cooler bolted to the side of the engine) :rolleyes:

But I’ve no idea the size of these coolers and if they differer between models :oops:

That's what I thought to but thought I'd ask the OP anyway.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

The LE's got the same heat exchanger as fitted to the LSA engines.
The trans coolers (auto and man.) are the same as HSV's.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
The boys BMW has a redicoulsly long oil interchange interval. Over 20,000km but then the 3 litre motor has about the same oil capacity as the L77 listed above IIRC.
I had a 2007 E90 335i with this feauture, BMW calls it CBS (condition based servicing), but I have trouble trusting it as the same BMW also lists the transmission (ZF 6 speed) as “filled for life” and hence doesn’t have a service interval even though ZF themselves recommends that particular transmission model be serviced every 80k-100k kms (or lower if operated in “harsh” conditions).

The coolant, diff & (power steering as well if I remember right) are also listed as “life filled” and have no service interval…

The euro mechanic I took it for service half joked that the coolant is correct as the system would start failing (crappy plastic connectors & thermostat housing cracking) after a while as a reminder when to change the coolant…

Time for an experiment possibly
Take it to a track for 100 kms of hard fangio action and see whether that 100 kms of hard driving will shorten the distance to service to now be less that 20,000 ;)

Ah, what we do for science :p:p:p

I had the CBS system for my old BMW extend the service interval up to every 30,000km/2 years at one point when I was driving about 100km (mostly freeway) everyday in non-peak (working evening/night shifts) for work during a period of time…

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
IIUC the ZDDP/ZDTP does not clog up the converter, it poisons the catalyst substrate so it can’t do the job it is supposed to. There is no increase in back pressure, just a failed pollution test if you are ever checked

I haven't known of any oil related cat failures, but I've seen a few expire prematurely from a hammer and screwdriver.

20190107_155325.jpg