Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ok desperate need help on holden 202

Dylan McGrath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss Commodore
okay so.. ive bought a 1980 vc commodore L with a 202 unsure what kind it seems to be a blue motor but someone painted it black im assuming but the thermostat setup looks to be a black motor setup long story short its an absolute headache to me, im 17 and bought it as a project car as the vb-vc’s have always been a love of mine, but i have absolutely no idea on how to work on them but im very hands on and all about learning new things but ive grown up with non car people that have just as much if not less knowledge than i myself do and it seems to be impossible for me to find any information on how to do things what i need to look for and just even basic getting it running first, i have no idea if the engine is stuffed or not but heres where i am at so far-

the motor has a varajet ll gm stasburg carby that doesnt seem to prime any fuel but nothings blocked in it and theres fuel going to the pump and coming out of it

it has a dsm dizzy setup

aeroflow chrome alternator

no powersteering or aircon

it has new gaskets from head up

the vac line from the brake master cylinder is snapped at the plug (ill have some photos uploaded for a better idea on what im talking about)

theres plugs that seem to not have anywhere to plug in just laying around

fuses and wiring are just a nightmare and all over the place

now the car does crank over and spits flames and just coughs and splatters when i go to start it up, spraying fuel in the carby it feels like it does want to start but no matter what i fo it just will not budge

i know this may not be a whole lot of information and hard to understand coming from someone that knows absolutely nothing on how to work with these but im all for giving it a crack, if anyone can give me just even basic getting it running info or links to helpful info on anything to do with the engine i would appreciate it so much, im also a very visual person so any photos videos anything would help

again thank you and sorry for the long post

ill attach a google docs link that has all the photos in it, please request any photos you want i'm happy to take a photo of anything or any area needed.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-SdI04dRFKEX-d6N0Lvh4pxUs0Qxc5qMymiI_JwrFyA/edit

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
pull number one spark plug
use a rag to plug the hole
then bump starter until rag flies out
then check dissy rotor is pointing just past number 1 on cap

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
okay so.. ive bought a 1980 vc commodore L with a 202 unsure what kind it seems to be a blue motor but someone painted it black im assuming but the thermostat setup looks to be a black motor setup long story short its an absolute headache to me, im 17 and bought it as a project car as the vb-vc’s have always been a love of mine, but i have absolutely no idea on how to work on them but im very hands on and all about learning new things but ive grown up with non car people that have just as much if not less knowledge than i myself do and it seems to be impossible for me to find any information on how to do things what i need to look for and just even basic getting it running first, i have no idea if the engine is stuffed or not but heres where i am at so far-

the motor has a varajet ll gm stasburg carby that doesnt seem to prime any fuel but nothings blocked in it and theres fuel going to the pump and coming out of it

it has a dsm dizzy setup

aeroflow chrome alternator

no powersteering or aircon

it has new gaskets from head up

the vac line from the brake master cylinder is snapped at the plug (ill have some photos uploaded for a better idea on what im talking about)

theres plugs that seem to not have anywhere to plug in just laying around

fuses and wiring are just a nightmare and all over the place

now the car does crank over and spits flames and just coughs and splatters when i go to start it up, spraying fuel in the carby it feels like it does want to start but no matter what i fo it just will not budge

i know this may not be a whole lot of information and hard to understand coming from someone that knows absolutely nothing on how to work with these but im all for giving it a crack, if anyone can give me just even basic getting it running info or links to helpful info on anything to do with the engine i would appreciate it so much, im also a very visual person so any photos videos anything would help

again thank you and sorry for the long post

ill attach a google docs link that has all the photos in it, please request any photos you want i'm happy to take a photo of anything or any area needed.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-SdI04dRFKEX-d6N0Lvh4pxUs0Qxc5qMymiI_JwrFyA/edit
No photos.

Dylan McGrath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss Commodore
pull number one spark plug
use a rag to plug the hole
then bump starter until rag flies out
then check dissy rotor is pointing just past number 1 on cap
just done that, its landed just above 1 on the cap number 1 being right side of the motor facing the corner towards the indicator on drivers side, its got a clean spark too

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vacuum problem.

Where the brake booster hose has broken, block the hose to the engine (temporary fix). That may get it idling?
what happens when you click the link?
Page opens with nothing on it.

Dylan McGrath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss Commodore
Vacuum problem.

Where the brake booster hose has broken, block the hose to the engine (temporary fix). That may get it idling?

Page opens with nothing on it.
should maybe work now, seems to come up for me now,

ill give that a shot

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
should maybe work now, seems to come up for me now,
Working for me now.

RLb-u-pKVKZMOZgRJMwpXT158wgccWrEAY2tVxzRsw5RiZg7G9etI2U1BeJzia5gQQ9C_12eCE_8JbecEcQzAchqjkplSaUL4BoKmhl48pSrOTubc4JxDD3uhdQqBZrzx3tnqRwWEvXRgq03

This will cause vacuum problem too. Does one of these hoses go to the brake booster?

Get another t piece (i think thats whats its called) I believe you can get them in metal? If so, get the metal one. It'll last longer.

This may not fix all your issues? But it maybe a start?

Dylan McGrath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss Commodore
Working for me now.

RLb-u-pKVKZMOZgRJMwpXT158wgccWrEAY2tVxzRsw5RiZg7G9etI2U1BeJzia5gQQ9C_12eCE_8JbecEcQzAchqjkplSaUL4BoKmhl48pSrOTubc4JxDD3uhdQqBZrzx3tnqRwWEvXRgq03

This will cause vacuum problem too. Does one of these hoses go to the brake booster?

Get another t piece (i think thats whats its called) I believe you can get them in metal? If so, get the metal one. It'll last longer.

This may not fix all your issues? But it maybe a start?
that thick hose goes straight to the brake booster, i’ll order one now seeing as its something that will need to be fixed but at the moment ive just plugged it up

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
To get that broken off plastic out, use some garden secateurs. Flip the blade open and jamb it into the plastic. You should be able to twist it out that way. An old irrigation trick that I see as the same in this situation.