Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opel Commodore C

Wesuri

Reaction score
Website
www.opel6070club.com
Members Ride
Opel Commodore+Rekord+Omega
Hola!
Found a pic taken last summer, my Commo C and my bro's Omega B. See any familiar lines?
img3872v.jpg

also, my Omega A (right) and Rekord E in a similar comparison
summerof2009086.jpg

a week ago I let my other Commo C go, swapped it for a -65 Opel Rekord A 2dr sedan, woohoo :D
here it is on the left next to my -63 Rekord P2 2dr sedan
img4285.jpg

still have the other Commo C & co
img4283.jpg

so many projects, so little time :yeah:

At this time of the year it's again starting to snow and all that around here.

Wesuri

Reaction score
Website
www.opel6070club.com
Members Ride
Heh, I've been slowly expanding my fleet whenever there's a good deal around. Old Opels are widely available in Finland and they are not too expensive either. The problem is, I'm nearly out of space for them. Outside they rot too efficiently and under-the-roof-space is limited. I guess every other enthusiast dreams of a gigantic garage. I have a few more not yet shown, -68 Rekord C delivery was my first and it probably is the last one I sell also. I have a -67 wagon mostly for spare parts and a -61 wagon that needs a lot of welding. There's also a -72 Kadett, pretty much an organ donor. Still "need" an Olympia Rekord (~1954), PI Rekord (-58), B Rekord (-66), D Rekord, E1 Rekord. And it wouldn't hurt if there was A Diplomat, GT, Blitz etc. also. And there are loads of other interesting manufacturers and models too, that's why I also collect small scale models, they much more space and cost friendly ;).

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
How do you find any old cars that are still holding together with the Finnish climate? I would have thought that anything over about ten years old would have rotted away with rust - surely nothing from 1961 could still exist there?

With your collection, you could create an Opel museum. Does such a thing exist?

Wesuri

Reaction score
Website
www.opel6070club.com
Members Ride
Well it's not THAT bad with the weather here. Biggest problem is that during winter they spread salt to the roads for deicing. Now they use more liquid salt and you can guess how it effects your car's body when you drive six months a year on these kinds of roads. On the northern regions salt is not used and even if the winter is longer there, say 9 months, the cars are much better preserved there. Of course the winter is not ideal condition for sheetmetal even without salt as the water condensing keeps surfaces moist longer. And the 5 month green winter time can often be rather wet too. But normally it's a great season like this year was.

Here's a pic from when I hauled the '61 home. The car doesn't look too bad but the floors and frames are mostly gone.
200706020012.jpg

The '85 Rekord has also lost it's rear wheel arches and side skirts, thanks to salt.

Many old cars have survived, many have metalwork done several times to them. It all depends how popular the car model in question is. Many fine projects were lost when the price of scrap metal was at it's peak and you got close to 250eur for a car, sad.

There's no Opel specific museum here but there are many general ones. On different meetings and get-togethers you can see the whole wide model selection well represented.

Wesuri

Reaction score
Website
www.opel6070club.com
Members Ride
Here's one more pic I found, a comparison between Commodore C and Opel Ascona C. This Ascona generation was also sold in Australia as Holden Camira. Ascona is great to drive and handles well but the engines are a bit on the crappy side and the car is a fwd.
img0958ya.jpg

Kadett-Rekord

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rekord-E1 CarAVan / 2 + 4 Door Sedan
Hi @ all

I have read this story and am thrilled.
@ Wesuri
nice collection you have there.

I come from Germany and myself have a Rekord-E1 and a Rekord-E2 each station wagons.

1241286106.JPG

The E1 gets this winter with a 305 SB Chevy.
Steering is already converted similar to that of Holden.

The E2 at einen 1.8i OHC and is being built next.

@ krijnen

you could post a few pictures from the South Africa Rekord, or send me, I would then show them.

I need pics from the South Africa Steering Rack.

Ths Guy has a English Holden-Chevrolet Senator Autokauf

Wesuri

Reaction score
Website
www.opel6070club.com
Members Ride
Hallo Kadett-Rekord! That's a very fine looking E1-Caravan you have there. The diesel hood and the low stance make a big difference.

I quite like the looks of E1, much better than E2 and even better than Commo C. It's almost like another C-model, with clear simple lines. There's a nice looking 4dr for sale here but too bad my Omega has taken all the money lately so have to pass.

Keep us updated on the engine swap, it sounds interesting.

Holden-Chevrolet Senator? What's that? South-African Chevy? Why Holden?
Interesting details there, the position of things on the dash as it's a rhd. The stuff located in the center have unchanged positions compared to lhd. And the heater(?) seems to be under the hood, possibly because the gearbox takes so much more space than in Opel.