Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

open alcohol in car?? legal?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i love grabbing some beers or turkeys on the way home from nothing better after a days works i usually drunk most of it if not all by the i get home (1 bottle/can) i dont see it as a big deal its doesnt affect my ability to drive to any degree mmore than if i was drinking a coke or eating whilst driving(which is actually harder)

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
You're right, they can't just test everyone for giggle. It's all logged and if theres a shitload of readings from drunk ppl in the street coz they think it's funny, then there would be a BIG 'Please explain' as to why these ppl were "let off" so to speak. There'd some big rockets up the coppers arse if this were the case. lol

They have done it here in SA, I was driving home after getting defected & just picked up my mate who was on one of those party buses, & after I blew, my mate was like bloody coppers defecting my car etc.... & I said oh he has had a bit to drink to the cop as an explaination for his mouth, & then the cop said he could blow if he wanted, but he had to use my straw lols.... But he blew some stupid amount & we all had a laugh & the cop said 'seeya later, shame about the defect, its a nice car, have a good night'

zerodown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SSII A4, VSII CLUBSPORT M5
Had been to the AFL, got the train back to my mates where my car was, we had some dinner and kicked back for a bit. After a couple of hours I thought right I'd have to be o.k to drive now to another mates closer to home who was having a party.

Get pulled over on the way, bretho came out, all the usuall questions followed, do you work, your own car etc.

Must have been very borderline as the cop asks if my mate is ok to drive. Yes sir three bags full sir. Fact is he would have had quite a bit more to drink than me as I knew I had to drive to this party. Cop says righto your mate can drive your car home and if I see it out again tonight your goners.

Mate drove us home, end of story. Was quite bizarre really. My ony guess is I was so borderline if I had of requested a blood test perhaps by the time it was conducted I would have been under. Or I was never over in the first place just very close to it. Why then he would let my mate drive us both home without him being tested is another strange point in a strange situation.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
well i pretty much answered my own question last nite:p

had full car load all drunk/drinking in car and cops pulled me up and breath tested me and tried to get me for passenger restrictions on me green P's lol (after 11)...didnt care less about the alcohol. needless to say they went on there merry way lol

so yeh:p

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
Back when I was in high school we had a cop come around and do a presentation in front of the whole school about drinking responsibly, and drink driving. We were told that it is illegal to drink in your car because it is considered a public place. I've never seen proof of this though and have never heard of anyone ever being booked for having open alcohol in the car. Nonetheless I will always get any passengers to hide their drinks, or my own travellers if I have any, if I'm pulled over. It's never happened before though :)

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
My 2 Cents,
In WA you can get done by cops for open alcohol in the car. But not all cops enforce it. Was driving thru Northbridge and had windows down and stopped at a light. Coppa rode past on his push bike (hahaha) and said to my passenger that it's called street drinking even though your in the car. But he didn't fine us for it, just for future references he said. Friends at Adventure World Adults only were drinking in the car park in the car, coppas came up to the window and they all got done for street drinking.
I don't have webpages for proof, just own experience.

zerodown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SSII A4, VSII CLUBSPORT M5
This begs the question then, what about 'party' buses or mini buses taking people on pub crawls?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
My 2 Cents,
In WA you can get done by cops for open alcohol in the car. But not all cops enforce it. Was driving thru Northbridge and had windows down and stopped at a light. Coppa rode past on his push bike (hahaha) and said to my passenger that it's called street drinking even though your in the car. But he didn't fine us for it, just for future references he said. Friends at Adventure World Adults only were drinking in the car park in the car, coppas came up to the window and they all got done for street drinking.
I don't have webpages for proof, just own experience.

Whats this place you speak of sir???!!!!!:D

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I got done for DD once. Spent all day working a a Val that I was doing up. Bombed 265 with triples, and had just converted the three on the tree to a 4 on the floor.

Installed a pigshifter and a Racing clutch, adjusted it, tested it - smoked hard from the lights, then went home got clean and went to a party with a mater. Got blind. Might mate was driving. People wore commenting on the paint job and the stance of the val so I got my mate to take us all for a spin to see what it could do.

Went out onto the motorway (eventuall) slowed right down when there was no traffic around. Smoked in second and slammed it into third. Bang Pop Crunch munch.

Pulled over climbed out, Looked like the clutch had let go. Jammed the gearbox into second and had my mate drive it to the nearest servo for towing. Popped out of gear about 900 yards from the servo. Jump out wedge it in, but would pop out straight away unles you held the shifter just right. (had damaged the shifter mech as well). I jumped in and held my tongue and the shifter just right. Pop crunch as it rolled into the servo.

The cops were on the forecourt talking to some people and heard the crunch grind. Came over and smelt the distillery I had in my pockets...

they were all set to let me go, after the story was told, until a CIB sargeant pulled up next to them.....

I blew 0.104 . $1000 fine and a 10 Month suspension.

That was almost twenty years ago now. Never again.