Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opening boot with Rear Wing

cassgazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SSV Redline
So what's the big deal if the boot lid does not not open right up? It's never worried us.

Well, we ordered the car with the rear wing, which was meant to be installed at the factory. To "get us into the car quicker", the dealer gave us the car that he had ordered for his wife - exactly the same as ours, but with a lip spoiler. When the other came in, the boot lids were swapped over.

We have paid for the rear wing, and want it how it should be - not just a half arsed job.

Also, we kind of got used to having the lip spoiler boot open all the way up - it was quite handy with an arm full of stuff.

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
The boot swap happens often. It's the only way to get a customer into a car sooner, otherwise you're looking at a minimum 6 week wait, unless another dealer has ordered a car with a spoiler and is willing to swap it....

When the spoiler is fitted the boot doesn't open fully like it does with the standard lip spoiler. The boot lifts up maybe a quarter of the way. I believe they do have different gas struts fitted, so it's simply a matter of changing them over, but the bootlid will never open fully with the full size spoiler fitted.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Advantage of a spoiler is it's a great handle to help lift the (now heavier) boot up with.

benanna88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais, VF SS-V Redline
Mine lifts up. I think holden put in a stronger spring for bootlids with the rear wing.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but can you or anyone post the part number for the stronger gas struts? I've got the spoiler and my boot only opens about a quarter as well. The numbers on my struts are 92294267 and 753410331 (both numbers on a single strut - not sure which is the part number).

Edit: first number above was wrong.

Last edited:

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Mine has only ever opened up 1/4 from the factory... Didn't know there were "stronger struts".

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
mine pops open about an inch and rests on the latch, i then open it the old school way

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My VE is the same, pops open. Then, shock, horror, I use my limbs to open it, like any other boot I've had.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Same here factory fitted big spoiler with 2 struts and it opens about 1/4 and stays.
Here’s a pic of my struts
1D741A3F-6FDB-4E6E-BC13-4D7D10F54F8A.jpeg
And some of the boot closed then when you hit the button where it opens to 6D476945-CC51-4EF6-BDC8-6E195D94C68D.jpeg152D6E61-D884-4BC6-AA63-F3B2E53DED80.jpeg

Craig Facey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
Park on a hill with the wind coming from behind and you'll be right!... Just don't tell the Ford owners what your doing! Lol