Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

opinions needed v6 engine ticking

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
pretty sure this sound is not coming from the injectors. engines done 37000 km, and i did and oil change the other day with no change.

easiest way to explain is with a vid. Is this normal?

YouTube - IMG 0311

cheers

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
I've heard that the L98 have a rpoblem with there lifters and that makes a ticking sound, if it's still under warranty take it to holden or even just ask if they know of problems like that.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
i know obvious questions, but I gotta ask.....
what oil did you put in (and what was in there before)? grades and whether synthetic or not in both instances.
whats the oil level in it now? checking when on level ground is it too high or too low?

looking at that vid, definitely doesnt sound right.
if under warranty, take it to dealer but dont be telling them YOU changed oil!
might even be worth your while getting ultratune to do a minor logbook service, and get them to stamp book... just to try and cover your ass a little if holden have to rip apart the engine to fix it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
next time i'd be taking it in under warranty rather than trying to fix things yourself ... thats what warranty is for.
Wild guess here, I reckon that ticking sounds like rockers, or whatever they use these days. Maybe timing chain loose? I wouldn't mention the oil change at all, just tell em it started making this ticking sound and you don't like it. Only way they could catch you would be if you didn't use a genuine filter, or if there's a date on the filter thats newer than your last service. Even then if a screws come loose or something it would be dam hard for em to say that your oil change made it come loose.

Poms VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
It could be the ECU but just take it to holden to confirm!

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
yeh shes out of waranty by about 4 months Ior so now :(
Ive been using Castrol sport 5w-30, oil levels good, flat road between the center of the indicator on the dipstick.

I hope its not the chain! 2007 july build so i would have thought it would have the revised chain.

Anyidea how much somthing like this would cost to get looked at?

cheers