Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2011 SV6 Ticking Noise - Lifter noise?

mando_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Hello all, I come to you guys for some help with my VE Series 2 SV6. I know that this is going to make me sound like a terrible owner but I've had this awful ticking noise coming from bank 2 since I bought the car in July. it's loudest at a cold start but quiets down when the car is warm and doesn't accelerate/get louder when revving the engine. This is going to sound worse but every mechanic I've spoken to has told me that this is just normal LLT behaviour and its nothing to be worried about but it still drives me nuts. It's not down on power and still gets average mileage.

I've looked at/heard the ticking noises coming from other threads here and its definetly different from them. It's more of a metallic ticking noise than any click or rubbing.

Video here: (Please try and ignore my dad and I talking. Video is from a week after I bought it)

Any help will be greatly apreciated, thank you! :)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Sus out the purge valve first.

strudo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve e3 clubsport
Had the exact same sound put oil slug treatment in oil then changed it and it left completely believe it or not I thought it was lifter was going to drive it till it blew up but it's fixed now. The sound you can hear is timing chan slap timing chan tension works on oil pressure sum how I'm 90 percent sure it's that. Most llt v6 engines make than noise on startup for 1 to 3 seconds till oil gets around

WitiTune

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Senator
Not related to your noise but i had one once that kept ticking from the drivers side even after new lifters and chains, pulled heads and found a small piece of oil filter element stuck in one of the oil ports, as pressure built up with rpm it would move slightly and restrict flow, let it idle and it would drop back and allow oil back through and quiet down.

To your problem sounds like the timing chain rattling around

strudo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve e3 clubsport
Had the exact same sound put oil slug treatment in oil then changed it and it left completely believe it or not I thought it was lifter was going to drive it till it blew up but it's fixed now. The sound you can hear is timing chan slap timing chan tension works on oil pressure sum how I'm 90 percent sure it's that. Most llt v6 engines make than noise on startup for 1 to 3 seconds till oil gets around
Check this vid out ( alloytec problems. What they are and how to avoid them) I'm not a mechanic at all but iv always worked on my own cars iv never heard a engine with a lifter sound or timing chan go away without fixing it but sum how the timing belt tensioners need full oil pressure to function properly I wondered how my sound went away with a oil change till I watched this vid today like with your filter piece would of been restricting the oil to the chain I took my tappets of today and was surprised how much slug was in there check that vid out

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Alloytecs and SIDI's are great for converting high quality motor oil into sludge.