Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

opperation turbo vp v8

NOGEN 3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey m8. Is running a wastegate more efficient than a BOV on turbo systems, or is it all up to the owner?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
Hey m8. Is running a wastegate more efficient than a BOV on turbo systems, or is it all up to the owner?
every turbo system has a waste gate of some type ,99% of factory turbo cars have internal waste gated turbos built into them , a waste gate is the turbos boost controll system , with out one the turbo would continue to boost and cause damage to itself or the engine, a blow of valve simply dumps boost pressure that the turbo is making wen the throttle is closed eg between gear changes or just backing off the throttle, its important to have one becuase it reduces turbo lag and can stop damage to the compressor wheel, i hope that make sence

NOGEN 3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Excellent, cheers guys. All make sense now!.... :)

Last edited:

vp_304

Reaction score
Great setup mate im looking at doing something similar with a gt35/40 also. Id like to keep the air con also.
is your crossover pipe work 50mm steam pipe ?
More pics would be great :)
How come you didnt put the turbo closer to the air box location?

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
Great setup mate im looking at doing something similar with a gt35/40 also. Id like to keep the air con also.
is your crossover pipe work 50mm steam pipe ?
More pics would be great :)
How come you didnt put the turbo closer to the air box location?
yeah its 2.5inch steam pipe from the pacemaker extractors all the way around the back of the box up to the log manifold, u cant have the turbo any futher forward unless u want to relocate your alternator, they way i have it works out well coz it just leaves enough room for the air filter and the intercooler pipes to go down into the guard, ill get some more pics today to give u a better idea

mookschank

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Who did the header work for you?, as they look the goods!

vp_304

Reaction score
Nice more pics would be great helping me with my setup.
Any reason why you didnt use a standard cast header on the drivers side and come over were the torque converter is?
Less pipe work means it will spool quicker and the cast headers have been proven on a few 10 sec turbo 355's ive seen setup.

Commotion

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WRX
i thought your cross over looked big, great setup tho. dont see many turbo v8's and despite their smaller appearance the old school way they have mounted the ancillaries makes them tricky to turbo. should see a responsive setup with that turbo look forward to see the power it makes

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
Who did the header work for you?, as they look the goods!
this feller called paul , he has is own performance shop in miam, on the goldcoast , and yes he does awsome work, he said it took 20 hours to make the whole manifold on my car

Nice more pics would be great helping me with my setup.
Any reason why you didnt use a standard cast header on the drivers side and come over were the torque converter is?
Less pipe work means it will spool quicker and the cast headers have been proven on a few 10 sec turbo 355's ive seen setup.
tell me what u want more pics of and ill take them for u , im sure the cast headers work well , but wen i first got my car i put extractors on it , so im just using one side, and i think extractors will give better flow, the reason why went around the back of the gear box was becuase of how the extractor on the drivers side stops at the gear box pan and we would have to chop the extractor up and put a sharp bend to go accross the torque conveter , u could do it with a cast header becuase of the way there made, going arond the gear box pan hasnt made that much more in lenth, the only thing im going to do is heat wrap that section ,so lag isnt going to be a problem

i thought your cross over looked big, great setup tho. dont see many turbo v8's and despite their smaller appearance the old school way they have mounted the ancillaries makes them tricky to turbo. should see a responsive setup with that turbo look forward to see the power it makes
if u think about it , 99% of people go twin 2.5inch from each extractor becuase thats wat works the best in most cases and thats all that we have dun except one side goes into the other , so i think this manfiold setup is going to flow quiet well , another thing we wanted to do is , if i decided to build a 355 that the manifold would still be able to flow, this manifold is a simila manifold that was made on a single turbo ls1 that went nealy 600hp so it should be ok if i decide to do that later on , my advise to anyone making there own manifold , is that there is alway going to be a compremise somewhere ,eg physical turbo size and alternator relocation , and even access to your spark plugs,my front spark plug on the passenge side is very hard to get out, so just make sure wen u r making the manifold try to keep these things in mind , yesterday i did the oil return line to the sump , it was a bitch to do with out a hoist took me 6 hours, something i will never do again , this week the intercooler and dump pipe will be finished , so ill get some more pics , we are also trying to keep the clutch fan in place whitch is looking good , sorry if i rave on , but im just letting use know what u could be in for if u are going to do this