Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Orig spec tyres for staggered 19" on S1 Redline Wagon

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Enthusiasts who appreciate wheel and tyre glamour, can generally drive with greater skill to avoid hitting kerbs to need rim protector tyres.

Accidents occur.....

The number of people I strike that have beautiful rims one day and the next come in because they made a little error in judgement is unbelieveable.

So those are there for that little accident that does occur, no matter how skilled or how much of an enthusiast they are....

It is also personal choice if you fit them or not....

Me I hate fitting them because of the extra air pressure required to seat the bead and the problems that can occur as a result

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
So those are there for that little accident that does occur, no matter how skilled or how much of an enthusiast they are...
I've never hit a kerb and damaged a wheel in 45 years and my wife's last was in 1994. You can develop kerb avoidance driving skills!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've never hit a kerb and damaged a wheel in 45 years and my wife's last was in 1994. You can develop kerb avoidance driving skills!

There are people out there that have never hit a kerb and there are people out there that have said to me I have never hit a kerb and soon after come in wanting me to check their tyres because they hit one.

So my motto is, never say never...

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
There are people out there that have never hit a kerb and there are people out there that have said to me I have never hit a kerb and soon after come in wanting me to check their tyres because they hit one.

So my motto is, never say never...
Drivers with kerb avoidance skills don't hit kerbs. Luck and skill are two different things!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Drivers with kerb avoidance skills don't hit kerbs. Luck and skill are two different things!

If you say so

I have never hit a kerb either, but I'm not claiming I'm the worlds best driver with those skills....I put it down to being lucky....

Simply put, tyre manufacturers have made some tyres with a kerb protector because accidents happen....Be it ugly looking or not, they have done it to help protect the rim whether we like it or not

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Will do. But they are also unavailable here too (Perth). BJTM said they won't have them until the NY. So I might look at other brands like the PS45s. I would just prefer to give my money to the US rather than china. I know it sounds pedantic but that's me. Goodyear are one of only a few tyre manufacturers still making in the US. Even Pirelli when still in Italy, which had a really rough time during Covid, were bought out by China for cents in the dollar and now majority owned by them. The Pirelli Dragon Sport on my front rims are made in china. So won't be buying them.

Did a little google search over the Goodyear F1's...

Word for word from my google search "where are Goodyear Eagle F1's made"

You can buy the Eagle F1 Asymmetric in 32 different sizes, ranging from 17-20inch and 28 of the variants come from Europe, whilst four come from Goodyear's Dalian tyre plant in China.

So you might be supporting China, or some other European country, but definately not USA....

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
If you say so

I have never hit a kerb either, but I'm not claiming I'm the worlds best driver with those skills....I put it down to being lucky....

Simply put, tyre manufacturers have made some tyres with a kerb protector because accidents happen....Be it ugly looking or not, they have done it to help protect the rim whether we like it or not
What I'm saying if you don't want to bang your wheels up on kerbs, you can easily adopt the driving skills to avoid doing so.

I don't like the appearance of aggressive rim protector side walls and I don't drive into kerbs to need the rim protection. Consequently, I prefer a tyre with the least aggressive rim protector sidewall.

In relation to Bridgestone tyres, the S007A (below), didn't have rim protection anywhere as aggressive as it's replacement the Potenza Sport.

20221006_180737.jpg

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Everyone mocks me saying how you could catch a cab in the gap I leave between my wheels and the curb

2 years since I got them, not a single ding or road rash on them!