Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Orig spec tyres for staggered 19" on S1 Redline Wagon

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What I'm saying if you don't want to bang your wheels up on kerbs, you can easily adopt the driving skills to avoid doing so.

I don't like the appearance of aggressive rim protector side walls and I don't drive into kerbs to need the rim protection. Consequently, I prefer a tyre with the least aggressive rim protector sidewall.

In relation to Bridgestone tyres, the S007A (below), didn't have rim protection anywhere as aggressive as it's replacement the Potenza Sport.

View attachment 261433

Don't think anyone bangs their wheels deliberately.....But it's there just incase and personal choice if you choose that style of tyre....

Have a read of this.....Seems a few want to try protect their rims other ways as they admit they might scrape a kerb

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/do-rim-protectors-work.275928/

That's just one on here to do with it

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Most of the road-rash on our VF's wheels are our fault, but this is the better-half's car a has ~43k kms on it, meaning I'd have probably only done maybe 8000km in it ... and I've had two situations where I drive through the pothole or I run into something as the alternative, and the pothole has chipped/scraped the wheel paint.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
You can develop kerb avoidance driving skills!

Agreed, avoidance skills are a must.

When I parallel park I always make sure I'm a long way from the kerb line, even if I'm so far away it means I have to catch a bus to the footpath.

I'm over cautious but twice over the years I've still managed to get minor marks on the edge of the outer barrel which could only be caused by something having been flicked up by the tyres.

Luckly most of my rims are polished alloy and it meant I could easily repair them myself.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Agreed, avoidance skills are a must.
Avoidance skills for me began in 1979 after saving for months to buy a set 14x8 Magnum Eliminators for my HQ Monaro. I didn't want to mark or damage the wheels and if I did, I couldn't afford to just buy a new one on apprentice wages. Learning not to hit kerbs in the first place seemed like best idea!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Avoidance skills for me began in 1979 after saving for months to buy a set 14x8 Magnum Eliminators for my HQ Monaro. I didn't want to mark or damage the wheels and if I did, I couldn't afford to just buy a new one on apprentice wages. Learning not to hit kerbs in the first place seemed like best idea!

Same here, when I was 17 I used to polish up the Aunger's on my HX Ute to a mirror finish, almost unheard of back in those days.

Then I swapped them out for some deep dish US Racing Mags and polished them as well.

Kerb rash wasn't much of a worry for us back then as almost everywhere in the small town I grew up in had rear to kerb parking or no kerb & guttering.

Dust was the biggest problem, as soon as you finished washing a car, it was covered in a fine layer of the stuff.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Same here, when I was 17 I used to polish up the Aunger's on my HX Ute to a mirror finish, almost unheard of back in those days.
Yes, many Saturday afternoons I spent polishing my Magnum's with Duraglit and then Autosol polish and they'd almost look like chrome to match the chrome diff hat on the Salisbury! I had Bridgestone Steel Belted 60's with the white lettering and used to clean them with Jiff and a scrubbing brush and then drown them in Armorall.

Doesn't seem like 44 years ago thinking about it today!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Yes, many Saturday afternoons I spent polishing my Magnum's with Duraglit and then Autosol polish and they'd almost look like chrome to match the chrome diff hat on the Salisbury! I had Bridgestone Steel Belted 60's with the white lettering and used to clean them with Jiff and a scrubbing brush and then drown them in Armorall.

Doesn't seem like 44 years ago thinking about it today!

None of that City fancy chrome diff hats for me, I lifted the Ute body off the chassis and painted the whole thing semi gloss black in my backyard.

Autosol was my polish of choice and I still have a tube and still consider it to be good stuff, though I mainly use Speciality Brands Purple Metal Polish these days as I prefer the liquid when only touching up an already well polished surface.

I also ran the Bridgestone Steel Belted 60's but after my mates put sh*t on me for having the lettering showing, I turned them around on the rims to face it inside.

Thanks for the tip on using Jiff to clean the lettering, I've never heard that before, back in the day I used to scrub them with ArmorAll.

And yes, it doesn't seem like 44 years ago as it's all so crystal clear in my head, even thought these days I can't remember what I just walked in the room to do.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
VB with Yoki 352s....245/50/14 on 14×7 Strikers with a slathering of armorall.

#early90s

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Did a little google search over the Goodyear F1's...

Word for word from my google search "where are Goodyear Eagle F1's made"

You can buy the Eagle F1 Asymmetric in 32 different sizes, ranging from 17-20inch and 28 of the variants come from Europe, whilst four come from Goodyear's Dalian tyre plant in China.

So you might be supporting China, or some other European country, but definately not USA....
Thanks for the heads up on that. I hope I don't get a shock as I have already ordered the Eagle F1 (Assymetric 3) !! I was going off a US website about tyres and where they were made, the US author was having a bit of a rant (and good on him I say) . I will try to find it again to see if I can see when the information was posted. They said Goodyear was still largely made in USA. But that could have been written 5 years ago! Here is an interesting site (a Law firm in the US, would you believe, maybe one of the lawyers has an interest in tyres) which gives a pretty complete list of DOT codes on tyres which gives the manufacturing plant name and location. https://wfirm.com/complete-list-of-tire-dot-plant-codes/

This info was posted in Jan 2021 but the information was probably older than that. There are some interesting places I would never have thought, like Hungary and Romania (Pirelli manufacturing), Armenia, Turkey, a few in Russia, Huge amount in U-Know-where... KUMHO Tire Georgia INC. is in the USA - I always thought that was a Korean tyre.

I'll be spewing if I get these Eagles and it says Made in china. On this DOT list, Goodyear have plants in India , Canada, USA (at least 5 States), China, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, Chile, Brazil, Colombia, Germany ... to name some.