Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR CAI tune with stock intake

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
In theory, if the car is tuned to suit OTR CAI, and the stock intake and airbox was put back on, would this be an issue ?

i.e. running lean/rich; errors etc.

Just curious...
Like if the car was being sold etc.

H

harrop.senator

I don't think it would be huge issue. due to the map sensor and 02's lean trimming. If 02's are turned off I'd say it'll just run rich.

They do make a decent difference in gains but the computer should be able to adjust due to the air being possibly less dense.

The iat is still there and in my opinion would be the same as comparing hot days to winter days.

May be worth running it with a live data scan tool and read the timing to make sure it's not activated the low octane table.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
In theory, if the car is tuned to suit OTR CAI, and the stock intake and airbox was put back on, would this be an issue ?

i.e. running lean/rich; errors etc.

Just curious...
Like if the car was being sold etc.

I asked this same question of my tuner when I was prepping a car of mine for sale and decided to return it back to its stock look.

I also was removing a 3 inch exhaust and headers and was told it would be fine.

That was 6 years ago and I still see that car getting around near where I live and it appears to be going fine.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Are you selling it to pay off the bike? Or are you asking for a friend?

:cool:

Just curious. OTR CAIs are known for throwing a code on stock tune, so wanted to know if the same would happen in reverse

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
Just curious. OTR CAIs are known for throwing a code on stock tune, so wanted to know if the same would happen in reverse
Yes you need to review it and in the main put it back to near stock. See a “tune” is just not clearly defined in the first place, if was done properly then quite a few things need changed back, yes.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
No. But if you have a mafless tune and connect a maf you’ll have issues. The failure to detect the maf is what makes it run in speed density mode (refers to map sensor only).

Ive refitted stock air boxes to tuned vehicles before, and the only downside was a lack of performance in traffic due to higher intake temps and a lack of induction noise.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
No. But if you have a mafless tune and connect a maf you’ll have issues. The failure to detect the maf is what makes it run in speed density mode (refers to map sensor only).

Ive refitted stock air boxes to tuned vehicles before, and the only downside was a lack of performance in traffic due to higher intake temps and a lack of induction noise.

So unlikely to throw some error or run very rich/lean ?

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
So unlikely to throw some error or run very rich/lean ?
Hard to tell what extent or tuning purpose one has done in a “tune” without running a comparison to stock (standard pro software feature). Because it could stuff your car, or very least set off MIL, either have someone reflash stock else ensure is not going to cause problems.
Don’t assume any two “tunes” are same or that changing sensors and component position has no effect.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
at minimum a drive around with some way to view the 02's voltages and see trims will give u a decent idea where the tune is at, look at them before and then after reverse mods will let u know the shift in fuel and make sure the 02 mv's stay extremely close or read higher then they were before the reverse mods when under decent power, but maby the tuner kept the LTFT and STFT so any error will carry over, or if only STFT used then PE wont be compensated for any lean conditions