Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR CAI tune with stock intake

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I dont expect much difference between this and OTR. I am just bored and want to see for myself what happens ;)

I think what is lost is slighly cooler air and possible ram effect at higher speeds...
We've never tested them back to back on a dyno, but I don't expect much difference in performance with a stock engine. The 340 stuff was offered to me buy a guy who supercharged his VF1 Maloo, $600 for the lot including the engine cover, why not I thought, kind of blends in with factory like modification theme!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
We've never tested them back to back on a dyno, but I don't expect much difference in performance with a stock engine. The 340 stuff was offered to me buy a guy who supercharged his VF1 Maloo, $600 for the lot including the engine cover, why not I thought, kind of blends in with factory like modification theme!

Yeah. They can be found even cheaper these days. I have 2 versions. One with plain intake elbow and one with a fitting to connect it to mechanical sound enhancer...

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Apples and oranges, but...

I replaced my VCM OTR with a OEM VX SS airbox with a K&N filter and some airbox mods (like the 2 hole mod) and there was no difference on the dyno when I got the tuner to run it up and see if anything needed to be changed in the tune

Both ran mafless tunes

I'm still running the same airbox but with a HTV2300 blower, the tuner said the airbox was still fine

Opinions may vary

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yeah. They can be found even cheaper these days. I have 2 versions. One with plain intake elbow and one with a fitting to connect it to mechanical sound enhancer...
The sound enhancer one was off the '16 Senator, SV Black and Track Edition. Later emission standards dropped the 340 in '17. Mine's off a '15 VF1 Maloo with the red engine cover and took the sound enhancer off my ute and kept it with the stock air box.

20210228_225752.jpg

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The sound enhancer one was off the '16 Senator, SV Black and Track Edition. Later emission standards dropped the 340 in '17. Mine's off a '15 VF1 Maloo with the red engine cover and took the sound enhancer off my ute and kept it with the stock air box.

View attachment 226167

Yes. That's how I found out about it. Came across sv black article and spotted it. What's your view on helmholtz chambers on this one. Do you think the only purpose is to keep the noise down ?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Yes. That's how I found out about it. Came across sv black article and spotted it. What's your view on helmholtz chambers on this one. Do you think the only purpose is to keep the noise down ?
I ack this question wasn't pointed at me....but.......from my research and tuning of my Toyota 86, which I dragged every NA HP from before turbocharging it, they only knock out induction noise, size for size, with or without, didn't change anything power wise, except induction sound, but not by much

My advice for intake pipe that has Helmholtz chambers is to swap in a silicone or alloy pipe (obviously painted wrinkle black if alloy) for a clean look, and a "slight" gain in induction

If you have a look into fluid dynamics they do cause a weird boundary layer that effects the flow, but real world testing didn't see any additional restrictions from it

If they did "help" flow, every race car would have them, but they don't so there's that

Those Helmholtz chambers look like arse anyway

Smooth is fast

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
The otr main purpose was high speed ram affect so doesn't really make noticeable gains unless travelling high speed as in drag racing which is what they were designed for with aussie vehicles even though earlier corvettes had something similar otr type airbox.

They'll only make a major difference on street car if factory airbox is woeful...but as most know when add tune/full exhaust & tune ofcourse it's a major step up in performance over standard car although debatable if all those items are required untill further modifications.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Apples and oranges again

I know a few boys with R33 GTR Skylines that make well over 400kwatw with a stock airbox >
s-l400.jpg

Sometimes over engineering is pissing money away for insta likes and marketing gullibility

This is a OEM airbox from a 700hp hell cat

s-l400-1.jpg

This is a modified oem lower airbox from my 600hp VX LS1 >

Attachments

• 20210831_174246_resized.jpg
    20210831_174246_resized.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 108

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Airbox/filter setup is probably a bit more relevant on turbocharged engines. Unless oem airbox is very restrictive the engine cant suck in more air than it needs. I think the main advantage of otr cai is cooler air and more of it.

MCM found hot air was robbing their LS3 bmw about 22kw. See it at 24 min

Last edited:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
If otr intakes, all least ones driven on the street got any benefit from true unrestricted ram air effect, Id expect to see a fairly evenly dirty filter, however the filth on mine is only ever concentrated around the centre third and in a very rough circular shape, not more than twice the area of throttle body itself. Id say its got more than enough, make that excessive headroom, or way to much restriction infront of it, or both. It could be half the size and probably do the job.