Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR CAI tune with stock intake

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
To be clear yes it will run poorly but it may not throw a light or code. Some assumptions that the “tune” was either non-existent or superficial - MAF curve is pretty obvious, IAT vs speed, IAT baseline and extent handling, don’t correct themselves and thats not even start of calibration mods you would expect with a car tuned with a CAI.
So is not like closed loop trim learning that you may get away without being notified on installing CAI, if you paid someone to recalibrate the car so is tuned to suit then when you take off said mod you need the margins put back at least else yeah asking for trouble beyond than poor fuel economy / operation / dash light.

PhantomV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Motorsport Edition #007 NZ
The tune takes into account the intake with differences in air flow past the MAF sensor on part throttle, open throttle is much the same. Just the way the air proceeds past the little wire makes a difference at slow speed. I would just get the tuner to recheck and maybe cost $200 for peace of mind

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
The tune takes into account the intake with differences in air flow past the MAF sensor on part throttle, open throttle is much the same. Just the way the air proceeds past the little wire makes a difference at slow speed. I would just get the tuner to recheck and maybe cost $200 for peace of mind
No. You can’t assume the tune was MAF curve only no VE coefficients, the entire premise of fitting a CAI is more flow (mass) as in altered VE.
BTW MAF wire is, in a blended tune, responsible for high speed air as in >4000 and SD (VVE) for the transitions.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
MAF is fine for the stock intake or any intake its tuned to suit but if any part of that intake is changed then it changes the maf flow calculations, bigger intake is more volume but less flow and the maf only reads flow, smaller intake less volume but higher flow, the maf isnt a set flow calculated sensor it has a table that is set to suit where it is in the intake

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
MAF is fine for the stock intake or any intake its tuned to suit but if any part of that intake is changed then it changes the maf flow calculations, bigger intake is more volume but less flow and the maf only reads flow, smaller intake less volume but higher flow, the maf isnt a set flow calculated sensor it has a table that is set to suit where it is in the intake
Bottom line whether just MAF tune or full blended or mafless or way custom open loop is likely more throughout engine and trans that has been changed… so unless you know what’s changed you shouldn’t just slap the stock intake back on, is my point.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
In theory, if the car is tuned to suit OTR CAI, and the stock intake and airbox was put back on, would this be an issue ?

i.e. running lean/rich; errors etc.

Just curious...
Like if the car was being sold etc.
The stock tune runs rich in fact, they're as "fat as a rat" with minimal ignition advance, so a tune usually leans the air/fuel ratio and advances the ignition timing. Tuned with an OTR, it'll still run better and make more power with a stock airbox than a stock tune, it'll be fine!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
As above It will be fine & still run better than stock setup obviously will lack some performance missing go-fast bits,

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
As above It will be fine & still run better than stock setup obviously will lack some performance missing go-fast bits,

It will be bimodal intake from R8 340kw with K&N filter. So larger intake on airbox, better flowing filter and better air duct...

Like this...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210831-150641_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210831-150641_Gallery.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 105

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
HSV adapted the LS3 Camaro MAF pipe into the Holden airbox lid and added an enlarged/bimodal lower air intake. Realistically they've simply adapted the GM (Chev) LS3 performance intake into the Holden engine bay. The Camaro doesn't have the bi-modal valve and I've found it's best removed from the HSV intake. The idea of the engine making torque restricting the air box inlet is nonsense and more likely to reduce induction noise to meet ADR requirements. Not quite as good as the OTR but the 340/Camaro intake is much better than the stock Holden one.

I did the 340 headers/cats, R8 midpipe and 340 intake together and then drove the car with a noticeable (seat of the pants) performance gain on the stock tune. As we mentioned previously, HSV retained the stock LS3 tune for the 340 and increased power with bolt on's.

The only criticism of the 340 components is the "pipe ring" noise from the R8 X-pipe typical of a light gauge pressed component I've now remedied and increased flow with a proper 30 degree merge collector.

20210825_031640 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
HSV adapted the LS3 Camaro MAF pipe into the Holden airbox lid and added an enlarged/bimodal lower air intake. Realistically they've simply adapted the GM (Chev) LS3 performance intake into the Holden engine bay. The Camaro doesn't have the bi-modal valve and I've found it's best removed from the HSV intake. The idea of the engine making torque restricting the air box inlet is nonsense and more likely to reduce induction noise to meet ADR requirements. Not quite as good as the OTR but the 340/Camaro intake is much better than the stock Holden one.

I did the 340 headers/cats, R8 midpipe and 340 intake together and then drove the car with a noticeable (seat of the pants) performance gain on the stock tune. As we mentioned previously, HSV retained the stock LS3 tune for the 340 and increased power with bolt on's.

The only criticism of the 340 components is the "pipe ring" noise from the R8 X-pipe typical of a light gauge pressed component I've now remedied and increased flow with a proper 30 degree merge collector.

View attachment 226163

I dont expect much difference between this and OTR. I am just bored and want to see for myself what happens ;)

I think what is lost is slighly cooler air and possible ram effect at higher speeds...